Old 01-01-2004, 01:49 AM
Kay Easton

Default Quince fruits

In article , Andy Mabbett
writes
I have just collected a couple of dozen fruits from my Japanese Quince.
Though they're as hard as bullets, most had fallen to the ground.

Will they ripen, or is that it?

That is it. They stay pretty hard. Should be a nice golden or golden
brown colour.

How might I use such a relatively small quantity?

Add them to cooked apples - they have a powerful taste and will
transform apple pie into something much nicer.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 01-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Wayne Boatwright

Kay Easton wrote in news:tLtKyWA3c38$EwQ4
@scarboro.demon.co.uk:

In article , Andy Mabbett
writes
I have just collected a couple of dozen fruits from my Japanese Quince.
Though they're as hard as bullets, most had fallen to the ground.

Will they ripen, or is that it?

That is it. They stay pretty hard. Should be a nice golden or golden
brown colour.

How might I use such a relatively small quantity?

Add them to cooked apples - they have a powerful taste and will
transform apple pie into something much nicer.

They are oh so good! I don't have a recipe, but my grandmother used to
make candied quince tarts. IIRC, she cooked the quince, sliced into thin
"chips", in a heavy sugar solution spiced with a few whole cloves. When
the quince were tender and translucent, she removed them to fill the
baked tart shells, then boiled down the syrup until it reached the
thickness of a glaze. This was spooned lightly over the quince (whole
cloves removed). The quince and syrup turned a delicate rose colour
while cooking.

Wayne

Old 01-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

They are oh so good! I don't have a recipe, but my grandmother used to
make candied quince tarts. IIRC, she cooked the quince, sliced into thin
"chips", in a heavy sugar solution spiced with a few whole cloves. When
the quince were tender and translucent, she removed them to fill the
baked tart shells, then boiled down the syrup until it reached the
thickness of a glaze. This was spooned lightly over the quince (whole
cloves removed). The quince and syrup turned a delicate rose colour
while cooking.

That was probably real quince, not japonica. You can do the same with
japonica, but they are tedious and tricky to prepare.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Add them to cooked apples - they have a powerful taste and will
transform apple pie into something much nicer.

*IS* there anything more pleasant in that line than apple pie made with
Bramleys and short pastry? With mature, thickened double cream......

Now you've made me hungry!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 01-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Graham

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Add them to cooked apples - they have a powerful taste and will
transform apple pie into something much nicer.

*IS* there anything more pleasant in that line than apple pie made with
Bramleys and short pastry? With mature, thickened double cream......

Yes. Tarte Tatin.

Graham

Old 01-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message 69_Ib.904129$9l5.466581@pd7tw2no
from "Graham" contains these words:

*IS* there anything more pleasant in that line than apple pie made with
Bramleys and short pastry? With mature, thickened double cream......

Yes. Tarte Tatin.

¿Que?

Old 01-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

That was probably real quince, not japonica. You can do the same with
japonica, but they are tedious and tricky to prepare.

I suspect that most posts have been about the real quince.

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Graham

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message 69_Ib.904129$9l5.466581@pd7tw2no
from "Graham" contains these words:

*IS* there anything more pleasant in that line than apple pie made

with
Bramleys and short pastry? With mature, thickened double cream......

Yes. Tarte Tatin.

¿Que?

It's an upside-down apple tart. You make a caramel in a heavy pan, cook the
apples in that and then cover with pastry and brown in the oven. When done,
you flip it over and serve. It is absolutely delicious. Once you have
tried it, ordinary apple pie will be just that - ordinary! You can get
Tarte Tatin pans at Lakeland.
Graham

Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Wayne Boatwright contains
these words:

That was probably real quince, not japonica. You can do the same with
japonica, but they are tedious and tricky to prepare.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the differences.

The Japanese quince is small and round with a deepdimple at either end,
yellow, sweetly-scented, acid and rock-hard. Varieties vary in size from
the size of a large cherry to that of a peach.

The European quince is pear-shaped, sometimes a bit lumpy, yellow,
fragrant, fairly hard, and varies in size from a Williams pear to - um -
a big pawpaw.

The Japanese quince is much more acid, and makes a lot of jelly for a
small amount of fruit because you have to use a lot of water in the
making of it, or you bend spoons.