Old 27-09-2003, 10:32 AM
GoldDustRhiannon

Default Quince

I've inherited a quince and I want to make wine from the fruit but how can I
tell when its ripe?

Thanks
lorraine
Old 27-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
I've inherited a quince and I want to make wine from the fruit but how can

tell when its ripe?

Quinces are very acid indeed and I wonder if they will make potable wine.

Franz

Old 27-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Pickle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
I've inherited a quince and I want to make wine from the fruit but how

can
tell when its ripe?

Quinces are very acid indeed and I wonder if they will make potable wine.

Franz

Go to http://winemaking.jackkeller.net
Tells you everything you need to know. He doesn't rate quince wine very
highly but gives a recipe.

Old 27-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
I've inherited a quince and I want to make wine from the fruit but how can

tell when its ripe?

Quinces are very acid indeed and I wonder if they will make potable wine.

Eh? True quinces are LOW on acid! Perhaps you are thinking of
Chaenomeles (a.k.a. japonica, a.k.a. Japanese quince).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-09-2003, 11:42 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Franz Heymann wrote:

I've inherited a quince and I want to make wine from the fruit but how can
tell when its ripe?

Quinces are very acid indeed and I wonder if they will make potable wine.

It is possible, I suppose (I've done it once about twenty-five years
ago). But really the fruit is so acid that either it needs to be diluted
rather more than most fruit or else the acid needs reducing with calcium
carbonate.

If I remember correctly, I reserved my quince wine for blending, but
even then it wasn't very successful.
| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 27-09-2003, 11:42 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I've inherited a quince and I want to make wine from the fruit but how can
tell when its ripe?

Quinces are very acid indeed and I wonder if they will make potable wine.

Eh? True quinces are LOW on acid! Perhaps you are thinking of
Chaenomeles (a.k.a. japonica, a.k.a. Japanese quince).

Er, yes! Well, *I* was!

Old 27-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message

I've inherited a quince and I want to make wine from the fruit but how can

tell when its ripe?

Quinces are very acid indeed and I wonder if they will make potable wine.

You can remove it or reduce it with powdered chalk, available from most
winemaking shops.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 27-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
I've inherited a quince and I want to make wine from the fruit but how

can
tell when its ripe?

Quinces are very acid indeed and I wonder if they will make potable wine.

Eh? True quinces are LOW on acid! Perhaps you are thinking of
Chaenomeles (a.k.a. japonica, a.k.a. Japanese quince).

No, I am thinking of real old fashioned quinces. The orchard in my parental
home had a number, and my school had a hedge of them. The latter served the
additional purpose of providing the canes for chastisement. Both groupd
were intensely sour to the taste.

Having said that, quinces make superb jams and jellies.

Franz

Old 27-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rhiannon S
writes

I know this is probably a silly question, but... How can you tell which is the
true quince and which is the japanese one?

True quince is pear shaped and grows on a big tree. japanese quince is
small and round and grows on a low bush.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

One quince?

I wondered that. It would be difficult to inherit a tree - unless you
inherit the ground it lives in too of course.

I've made quince wine and didn't like it but I always grab the fruit if I
have the opportunity - to use in jams or pies. Yum.

Indeed. One of my favourite preserves. I'm watching the fairly decent
crop of Japanese quinces on my tr^bu^shrub.

Wine made from quinces is a wate of bottles. (IMO)

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk