Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default Quince fruits

The message
from Wayne Boatwright contains
these words:

That was probably real quince, not japonica. You can do the same with
japonica, but they are tedious and tricky to prepare.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the differences.

The Japanese quince is small and round with a deepdimple at either end,
yellow, sweetly-scented, acid and rock-hard. Varieties vary in size from
the size of a large cherry to that of a peach.

The European quince is pear-shaped, sometimes a bit lumpy, yellow,
fragrant, fairly hard, and varies in size from a Williams pear to - um -
a big pawpaw.

The Japanese quince is much more acid, and makes a lot of jelly for a
small amount of fruit because you have to use a lot of water in the
making of it, or you bend spoons.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message L_0Jb.906446$9l5.429795@pd7tw2no
from "Graham" contains these words:

¿Que?

It's an upside-down apple tart. You make a caramel in a heavy pan, cook the
apples in that and then cover with pastry and brown in the oven. When done,
you flip it over and serve. It is absolutely delicious. Once you have
tried it, ordinary apple pie will be just that - ordinary! You can get
Tarte Tatin pans at Lakeland.

Hmmm. I must say the concept doesn't drive me wild with longing.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 02-01-2004, 01:48 AM
martin

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:35:23 GMT, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

The message L_0Jb.906446$9l5.429795@pd7tw2no
from "Graham" contains these words:

¿Que?

It's an upside-down apple tart. You make a caramel in a heavy pan, cook the
apples in that and then cover with pastry and brown in the oven. When done,
you flip it over and serve. It is absolutely delicious. Once you have
tried it, ordinary apple pie will be just that - ordinary! You can get
Tarte Tatin pans at Lakeland.

Hmmm. I must say the concept doesn't drive me wild with longing.

nor me, it's part of the "if it's foreign or written foreign, it must
be better culture" that is destroying all things British.

It's worse than the French serving a bowl of stand alone Birds Custard
as British cuisine

Have a piece of Appelgebak met slagroom, while I feed the bull
terriers their favourite German snack.
--
Martin

Old 02-01-2004, 04:08 AM
Wayne Boatwright

Rusty Hinge wrote in
:

The message
from Wayne Boatwright contains
these words:

That was probably real quince, not japonica. You can do the same
with japonica, but they are tedious and tricky to prepare.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the differences.

The Japanese quince is small and round with a deepdimple at either
end, yellow, sweetly-scented, acid and rock-hard. Varieties vary in
size from the size of a large cherry to that of a peach.

The European quince is pear-shaped, sometimes a bit lumpy, yellow,
fragrant, fairly hard, and varies in size from a Williams pear to - um
- a big pawpaw.

The Japanese quince is much more acid, and makes a lot of jelly for a
small amount of fruit because you have to use a lot of water in the
making of it, or you bend spoons.

Thank you. Apparently I've never seen the japanese quince, except for
the tree itself. A friend has one growing, but I'v never seen the
fruit.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:08 AM
Wayne Boatwright

Rusty Hinge wrote in
:

The message L_0Jb.906446$9l5.429795@pd7tw2no
from "Graham" contains these words:

¿Que?

It's an upside-down apple tart. You make a caramel in a heavy pan,
cook the apples in that and then cover with pastry and brown in the
oven. When done, you flip it over and serve. It is absolutely
delicious. Once you have tried it, ordinary apple pie will be just
that - ordinary! You can get Tarte Tatin pans at Lakeland.

Hmmm. I must say the concept doesn't drive me wild with longing.

I have eaten Tarte Tatin, and it's really quite good. That aid, however,
I really prefer to bake a more traditional apple pie. Adding some quince
would probably be a nice variation.

Speakling of the caramel of a Tarte Tatin, there was a restaurant where I
usd to live that made an "Upside-Down" apple pie. Some brown sugar and a
small amount of butter were used to line the bottom of a regular pie
plate, followed by a generous scattering of coasely broken walnuts.
Then, the usual bottom crust, apple filling, and top crust was put in
place. The pie was baked as usual, then cooled for 10-15 minutes or so
and turned upside-down onto a deep serving plate. Really quite good.

Wayne
Old 02-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

That was probably real quince, not japonica. You can do the same with
japonica, but they are tedious and tricky to prepare.

I suspect that most posts have been about the real quince.

Well, mine wasn't. And the suggestion of quince jelly will certainly
work with japonica.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: