Old 09-01-2004, 01:07 AM
David Hill

Default 300% survival

Yes that's right............

A few weeks ago I found a load of daff bulbs that I had forgotten about from
autumn 2002, some were still in their nets and others were in poly bags with
10 bulbs to a bag.
I dumped them outside meaning to dump them, looked at them around Xmas time
and found many were sprouting.
Today finally got round to doing something with them, and was really
surprised to find that the ones in the poly bags had a great survival rate,
one bag actually had 32 bulbs all sprouting(from the 10 bulbs).
So far have planted up 2 bread trays all bulb thick and am expecting to get
another 2 trays tomorrow, so those worried about planting out their bulbs
from last Autumn take note.
These bulbs had been in an old caravan for around 12 months then outside for
about 8 weeks.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Bob Hobden

"David wrote in message
[...]

Just drove past a GC in Ripley, Surrey, and they were planting bulbs,
presumably those left over, along their fence and in their tubs outside.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
359 data units completed.

Old 09-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 00:47:23 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

A few weeks ago I found a load of daff bulbs that I had forgotten about from
autumn 2002, some were still in their nets and others were in poly bags with
10 bulbs to a bag.
I dumped them outside meaning to dump them, looked at them around Xmas time
and found many were sprouting.

Good luck with them David! You might make a profit on them after all!

Pam in Bristol

Old 09-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Gary Woods

"David Hill" wrote:

These bulbs had been in an old caravan for around 12 months then outside for
about 8 weeks.

I wonder if you had something I've seen stored potatoes do:

They sprout and grow, and even in the dark will eventually make a 2nd
generation of small potatoes in the dark, obviously from the energy stored
in the "parents." I've seen this several times on ones that managed to
hide under shelves in a cool pantry in the cellar...