Old 09-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Trevor Appleton

Default Tomato varieties and Greenback

I have always grown Moneymaker as my tomatoes get greenback if I grow any
other type.

Does Shirley fall into the 'greenback resistant' category?

Trevor
East Yorkshire

Old 10-01-2004, 04:34 PM
ashnook_news

My T&M book says Shirley is greenback free.

--
Brian
www.ashnookplants.co.uk

Old 10-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Sacha

Trevor Appleton9/1/04 5:54
amtrevor@nospamweatherdot4dinternetdocodotuk3ffe42

I have always grown Moneymaker as my tomatoes get greenback if I grow any
other type.

Does Shirley fall into the 'greenback resistant' category?

Ray says 'yes'.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 10-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Trevor Appleton

Sacha wrote in message
.. .
Trevor Appleton9/1/04 5:54

amtrevor@nospamweatherdot4dinternetdocodotuk3ffe42

I have always grown Moneymaker as my tomatoes get greenback if I grow

any
other type.

Does Shirley fall into the 'greenback resistant' category?

Ray says 'yes'.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Will give it a try then thanks!

Old 11-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Alan Gould

In article , ashnook_news justleatve
xx writes
My T&M book says Shirley is greenback free.

IIRC we've never had greenback problems with Shirley tomatoes, either
grown indoors or outside.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Trevor Appleton" trevor@nospamweatherdot4dinternetdocodotuk
contains these words:

I have always grown Moneymaker as my tomatoes get greenback if I grow any
other type.

Does Shirley fall into the 'greenback resistant' category?

Pass. never had really greenbacked tomatoes. I have grown Shirley, and
Alicante, Pixie and Ailsa Craig.

Ailsa Craig does tend to remain a bit green on top sometimes, in a
sort-of apple-patterned way. Allegedly.

Monemaker is IMO like wet rags in flavour, and I won't grow them.
Alicante is a Moneymaker type, but has a very good flavour. Why not try
some of those?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/