Old 13-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Bella

Default I need some advice:potted palm

For a long time, my palm's suffered great neglect (we were travelling and
our housesitters completely didn't notice it) so now I'm trying to save
what's left of it and I'm wondering if I'm fighting a losing battle... I've
got several new shoots coming up, but I'm wondering whther I made a huge
mistake in cutting off the old, dead ones... looks like the new ones are
bound near the base of the plant...
I'm wondering if there's anything I should do besides the obligatory
watering and feeding...

thanks,
b.

Old 14-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Neil

Bella,

Often plants, esp. woody plants, through up suckers when the plant is
suffering in the main stems/leaves. These are often the plant's insurance
that it's genes will continue in the pool. You could try repotting the hole
root ball. As you do clean the compost away and see if you can separate the
new suckers/shoots with some healthy roots. This will allow you to get
several plants and reduce the chances that, if a disease is harboured in the
compost, the new plants will suffer.

Neil Faulkner
www.conceptgardens.com

Old 15-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Neil

"Bella" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
Bella,

Often plants, esp. woody plants, through up suckers when the plant is
suffering in the main stems/leaves. These are often the plant's

insurance
that it's genes will continue in the pool. You could try repotting the

hole
root ball. As you do clean the compost away and see if you can separate

the
new suckers/shoots with some healthy roots. This will allow you to get
several plants and reduce the chances that, if a disease is harboured in

the
compost, the new plants will suffer.

Thank-you. Further to that... should I clear away the dead material that's
still hanging on at the base of the plant (above the root ball) or should

just leave it and put up with the unsightly base?

B.

It is worth tidying up in case any nasties are lurking. If you are to
separate the plant, loose the old growth entirely.
Neil

Old 15-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Bella

"Neil" wrote in message
"Bella" wrote in message

this has been very helpful, thank-you... I'll post the status of the plant
in a few weeks... hopefully it'll be somwhat more lush than it is now.

b.