Old 14-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Katharine Mill

Default can I move crocus now?

Is it safe to move crocus now (green shoots 3-4cm tall)? Seems like a
lot of bulbs are sold and shipped 'in the green' so I'm hoping it's
OK. I chucked in a lot of bulbs last year in then-bare garden, but now
there's more in it I want to make sure I can see them.

cheers - and a happy new year to all

Katharine

ps did anyone else read in the Christmas edition of the Economist the
statistic linking gardening with happiness level? Those who do it at
least once a week are more cheerful, it appears :-)
Old 14-01-2004, 12:33 PM
JennyC

"Katharine Mill" wrote in message
om...
Is it safe to move crocus now (green shoots 3-4cm tall)? Seems like a
lot of bulbs are sold and shipped 'in the green' so I'm hoping it's
OK. I chucked in a lot of bulbs last year in then-bare garden, but now
there's more in it I want to make sure I can see them.

They will be fine. just be carefull you don't spear the bulbs !
Jenny

Old 14-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Spider

Hello Katharine,
You will probably get away with moving your crocus now, but you will need to
do it on a dry day, in soil that it not too wet and claggy.

Lift your bulbs with plenty of soil around the bulb (or clump of bulbs) and
replant in their new situation so that the new soil level meets the original
soil mark around the top of the bulb. Firm in very gently and water well.
This will ensure that the soil is in contact with the roots and that there
are no air pockets.

Since these are bulbs you have already planted, I will assume that you know
they need reasonable drainage to stop the basal plate rotting.

Although you can get away with moving your crocus now, delaying the job
until late Feb/early March would be better. A lot depends on your soil type
and location.

Regards, Spider

Old 14-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Rod

Katharine Mill wrote:

ps did anyone else read in the Christmas edition of the Economist the
statistic linking gardening with happiness level? Those who do it at
least once a week are more cheerful, it appears :-)

Now y'all know why my posts are invariably optimistic and cheerful.
er.......does it count if you're paid for gardening?
Move your crocus now if you must - just lift them with a good clod of soil,
don't try to separate them. Ideally you would do it when they've died down
after flowering, problem then is finding them.

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 16-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Katharine Mill

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Just what I needed.
I'll move the bare minimum now (ie those now growing under/behind
shrubs where they don't get much light) and mark the rest for later
on.

Now just have to wait for a dry day...

Katharine
(in very wet and puddly Brussels)
Old 17-01-2004, 11:47 AM
JennyC

"Katharine Mill" wrote in message
om...
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Just what I needed.
I'll move the bare minimum now (ie those now growing under/behind
shrubs where they don't get much light) and mark the rest for later
on.

Now just have to wait for a dry day...

Katharine
(in very wet and puddly Brussels)

Hi Katharine,

Brussels !! Another ex-pat in Europe ?
Jenny (Rotterdam) :~))

Old 17-01-2004, 12:07 PM
martin

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:42:11 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Katharine Mill" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Just what I needed.
I'll move the bare minimum now (ie those now growing under/behind
shrubs where they don't get much light) and mark the rest for later
on.

Now just have to wait for a dry day...

there's one forecast for April :-((

Katharine
(in very wet and puddly Brussels)

You want to get some decent canals missus :-)

Hi Katharine,

Brussels !! Another ex-pat in Europe ?

In Mrs T's days there were 100,000 in NL alone.
I don't know what the current figure is. We have added two to the
number.

Jenny (Rotterdam) :~))

and yet another wet weekend with force 8 winds and horizontal rain.
:-(((
http://home.wanadoo.nl/verdienen/wee...moverzicht.htm
--
Martin
Old 20-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Katharine Mill

"JennyC" wrote in message ...
Hi Katharine,

Brussels !! Another ex-pat in Europe ?
Jenny (Rotterdam) :~))

Indeed! Hi Jenny. I've admired your webpages a few times. Nice to see
someone else doing good things with plants in the Low Countries :-)

I'm wondering - do you have evidence it rains more here than in the
UK? It sure feels like it these days.

Katharine
(5.5 years in Brussels)

Old 20-01-2004, 05:34 PM
JennyC

"JennyC" wrote in message

Hi Katharine,

Brussels !! Another ex-pat in Europe ?
Jenny (Rotterdam) :~))

Indeed! Hi Jenny. I've admired your webpages a few times. Nice to see
someone else doing good things with plants in the Low Countries :-)

Do you have some pictures on teh web for us to admire ?

I'm wondering - do you have evidence it rains more here than in the
UK? It sure feels like it these days.

Katharine
(5.5 years in Brussels)

I think the UK is probably as bad as here.............If I see all the flood
warnings on the BBC !

Jenny (+30 years in Holland!)

Old 20-01-2004, 07:17 PM
martin

"JennyC" wrote in message

Hi Katharine,

Brussels !! Another ex-pat in Europe ?
Jenny (Rotterdam) :~))

Indeed! Hi Jenny. I've admired your webpages a few times. Nice to see
someone else doing good things with plants in the Low Countries :-)

Do you have some pictures on teh web for us to admire ?

I'm wondering - do you have evidence it rains more here than in the
UK? It sure feels like it these days.

Katharine
(5.5 years in Brussels)

I think the UK is probably as bad as here.............If I see all the flood
warnings on the BBC !

Jenny (+30 years in Holland!)

My wife's allotment, right next to the dunes, is covered in 6" water.
I can't remember that happening before.
--
Martin