Old 10-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Katharine Mill

Default can I lift crocus bulbs now?

hello everyone

Can I ask some advice, please? I'm about ready to sow lawn seed this
weekend and wanted to lift a number of crocus bulbs from elsewhere
(with leaves) and plonk them in the soil before I sow. Question: will
they suffer by being moved now (post flowering)?

ps This is all weather-permitting: here in Brussels it's been minus 3
the last coupla nights, with feeble attempt at snow this morning.
Don't know what the wysteria flowers think of that, but they're
holding on. An experimental orchard I visited out of town yesterday
(300+ varieties of v. young fruit trees) had registered minus 8!

thanks in advance
Katharine
Old 10-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Michael Berridge

Katharine Mill wrote in message
. ..
hello everyone

Can I ask some advice, please? I'm about ready to sow lawn seed this
weekend and wanted to lift a number of crocus bulbs from elsewhere
(with leaves) and plonk them in the soil before I sow. Question: will
they suffer by being moved now (post flowering)?

ps This is all weather-permitting: here in Brussels it's been minus 3
the last coupla nights, with feeble attempt at snow this morning.
Don't know what the wysteria flowers think of that, but they're
holding on. An experimental orchard I visited out of town yesterday
(300+ varieties of v. young fruit trees) had registered minus 8!

Should be OK to move them as long as they are replanted quickly.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 11-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 10 Apr 2003 03:59:42 -0700, Katharine Mill wrote:

Can I ask some advice, please? I'm about ready to sow lawn seed this
weekend and wanted to lift a number of crocus bulbs from elsewhere
(with leaves) and plonk them in the soil before I sow. Question: will
they suffer by being moved now (post flowering)?

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait until the crocus foliage has
started to yellow, even though the new lawn would be actively
growing by then.

The crocus corms are actively growing right now, and if you
disturb them, you will set them back. It's very hard to lift
bulbs of any sort without messing up the roots, and at this
season the roots won't regenerate to compensate for damage.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada