Old 15-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Frogleg

Default Propagator?

Poster in the US. What IS a propagator? I've Googled some, but still
can't figure out if it's what I call a 'seed-starting' arrangement --
a usually foam plastic container of roughly 11x14x2" with 'cells' for
planter mix, some method of watering (usually a wick system of some
sort), and a clear plastic cover, or some sort of heated or larger or
entirely different creature. I start seeds in things like the
above-described, which I place over a separate (separately bought)
heating mat. The heating mat comes with a little metal frame so the
seed-starter thingy isn't resting ON the mat, but perhaps 1/2" above
it.

http://tinyurl.com/3avj9

displays something similar to what I've used (minus heating mat). Is
this a propagator? Thank you for any info.
Old 16-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Martin Sykes

"Frogleg" wrote in message
Poster in the US. What IS a propagator? I've Googled some, but still
can't figure out if it's what I call a 'seed-starting' arrangement --
a usually foam plastic container of roughly 11x14x2" with 'cells' for
planter mix, some method of watering (usually a wick system of some
sort), and a clear plastic cover, or some sort of heated or larger or
entirely different creature. I start seeds in things like the
above-described, which I place over a separate (separately bought)
heating mat. The heating mat comes with a little metal frame so the
seed-starter thingy isn't resting ON the mat, but perhaps 1/2" above
it.

http://tinyurl.com/3avj9

displays something similar to what I've used (minus heating mat). Is
this a propagator? Thank you for any info.

Yep, that's a propagator. The essential part is a base to hold water, and a
lid. The capillary mat and heating is optional but worthwhile. Mine has the
heating mat built in. It sounds like yours has the heating mat outside in
which case you may be losing a lot of heat to the air, and not heating your
seeds as much as you think.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 17-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Frogleg

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:39:16 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

Poster in the US. What IS a propagator? I've Googled some, but still
can't figure out if it's what I call a 'seed-starting' arrangement --

http://tinyurl.com/3avj9

displays something similar to what I've used (minus heating mat). Is
this a propagator? Thank you for any info.

Yep, that's a propagator. The essential part is a base to hold water, and a
lid. The capillary mat and heating is optional but worthwhile. Mine has the
heating mat built in. It sounds like yours has the heating mat outside in
which case you may be losing a lot of heat to the air, and not heating your
seeds as much as you think.

Thank you. I thought so, but "...two countries divided by a common
language" has some pitfalls. :-)

As for my 'propagator over mat' arrangement, it seems to provide the
bottom heat required. I've also had a setup with a flexible heating
cable that went into the starter mix in a large tray that worked well.