Old 16-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Philip

Default Acer Palmatum whip

Can anyone suggest a good source for a quantity of these (probably around 10).

If not whips then 2 or 3 years olds will be OK.

Many thanks for any advice.

Phil
Old 16-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Martin Sykes

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
Can anyone suggest a good source for a quantity of these (probably around

10).

If not whips then 2 or 3 years olds will be OK.

Many thanks for any advice.

Phil

You mentioned in the 'A trip to Woolies' thread, that Woolworths are selling
them for 2.99 each. Is that too much?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 16-01-2004, 08:54 PM
cross

Philip wrote in message
m...
Can anyone suggest a good source for a quantity of these (probably around

10).

If not whips then 2 or 3 years olds will be OK.

Many thanks for any advice.

Phil

-------------
I recommend Barthelemy & Co., Tel 01202 874283
262 Wimborne Road West, Stapehill, Nr Wimborne, Dorset. BH21
2DZ

They sell Acer Palmatum Atropurpureum seedlings £10 for 10 and
slightly cheaper for other colours.

They also have a wide range of grafted species.

Always very friendly and helpful and the trees I have bought have been good.

Marina
E. Sx

Old 16-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Philip

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message ...
"Philip" wrote in message
m...
Can anyone suggest a good source for a quantity of these (probably around

10).

If not whips then 2 or 3 years olds will be OK.

Many thanks for any advice.

Phil

You mentioned in the 'A trip to Woolies' thread, that Woolworths are selling
them for 2.99 each. Is that too much?

Sorry for misleading slightly but I got the prices wrong on the Acers
they are 3.99, as was the Wisteria Other items are 2.99 - Budlieas
for example, and I think maybe the Clematis were too.

On to the Acer question ... I was not sure that the ones in Woolies
were offering me the best value for money. It OK being cheap. If 3.99
is cheap for a whip, and I'm not sure it is. But they come with a
host of problems. The plants may have dried out, definately warmed up
when they would be better out in a cool place, if not outdoors
completely. Some of the items were starting to grow, and as far as I
can see this may be problematical. If I were to buy these I will have
a plant thats warmed up in a shop and has put on some tender shoots.
Now what do I do. I need to put it somewhere cool, but I cannot put
it outside because the tender bits will be killed. It still only
January.

If somewhere did bare rooted whips or maidens straight from a field
then I would know I had dormant plants which I can put outside and
wait for spring to arrive.

Maybe Acers are not big enough to be grown and sold like that, hence
my question.

Phil