Old 20-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Registered User

Default Leylandii roots

Hi Folks, I'm a newbie on this site so apologies if this question has been asked/answered previously. I had 8 leylandii trees, (4 each side) in my small back garden. I have since cut them all down leaving a stump of approx 6" for each tree. Will the roots still grow now that the upper tree is cut? If so how can I kill the roots off (without having to dig them up)? Thanks
Old 20-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
yellow012 writes:
| Hi Folks, I'm a newbie on this site so apologies if this question has
| been asked/answered previously. I had 8 leylandii trees, (4 each side)
| in my small back garden. I have since cut them all down leaving a
| stump of approx 6" for each tree. Will the roots still grow now that
| the upper tree is cut? If so how can I kill the roots off (without
| having to dig them up)? Thanks

Effectively, no. If they do produce any shoots, they will be small
and weedy, so just rub them off. Like most conifers, leylandii do
not regrow from old wood.

The roots will rot over the next few years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Tumbleweed

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article m,
yellow012 writes:
| Hi Folks, I'm a newbie on this site so apologies if this question has
| been asked/answered previously. I had 8 leylandii trees, (4 each side)
| in my small back garden. I have since cut them all down leaving a
| stump of approx 6" for each tree. Will the roots still grow now that
| the upper tree is cut? If so how can I kill the roots off (without
| having to dig them up)? Thanks

Effectively, no. If they do produce any shoots, they will be small
and weedy, so just rub them off. Like most conifers, leylandii do
not regrow from old wood.

The roots will rot over the next few years.

Be prepared for lots of mushrooms!

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 20-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Bob

The leylandii should not grow, I took down about 70 last summer and none
have shown any life. I drilled half a dozen 1" holes about 4" deep in each
and a lot of them have started to rot already.

Bob

s.com...

Old 21-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered User

Be prepared for lots of mushrooms!

--
Tumbleweed

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I have noticed mushrooms sprouting up, whats the reason for that?

Old 21-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Spider

Hi Yellow012,
Please note that the RHS list xCupressocyparis leylandii as being "notably
susceptible to Honey Fungus (Armillaria sp.) ... so don't enjoy those
mushrooms too much!
Far better, if you can, to dig those stumps and roots out.
Sorry for the bad news.
Spider.
Tumbleweed wrote in message
. ..
"yellow012" wrote in message
s.com...
Be prepared for lots of mushrooms!

--
Tumbleweed

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I have noticed mushrooms sprouting up,
whats the reason for that?

They are feeding on the rotting wood.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 21-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Spider wrote:
Hi Yellow012,
Please note that the RHS list xCupressocyparis leylandii as being "notably
susceptible to Honey Fungus (Armillaria sp.) ... so don't enjoy those
mushrooms too much!

Armillaria mellea is edible.

Far better, if you can, to dig those stumps and roots out.
Sorry for the bad news.

That has been a recommendation for centuries, but there is little
evidence that it makes a significant difference. Also, there are
dozens of fungi that are likely to grow on conifer stumps, most
of which are completely harmless to living plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Spider" wrote in message
Hi Yellow012,
Please note that the RHS list xCupressocyparis leylandii as being "notably
susceptible to Honey Fungus (Armillaria sp.) ... so don't enjoy those
mushrooms too much!

Fried Honey Fungus caps are excellent to eat.
But make sure they are Honey Fungus before eating them!

Franz

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
COLUMN TYPE LEYLANDII alan kearn United Kingdom 3 25-03-2003 11:32 PM
[IBC] Leylandii Cypress Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
Leylandii Cypress ss Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 09:25 PM
Leylandii - Its days are numbered! Drakanthus United Kingdom 49 18-12-2002 02:21 AM