Old 22-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Lazarus Cooke

Default Lemon Verbena

I was told that my Lemon Verbena would not survive out of doors, and I
should keep it in a pot over winter.

But I've just read that in London (where I live) while the shoots may
be killed by the frost, it should grow back. I'm sure it would be
happier in garden soil.

Has anyone any experience?

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old 22-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
I was told that my Lemon Verbena would not survive out of doors, and I
should keep it in a pot over winter.

But I've just read that in London (where I live) while the shoots may
be killed by the frost, it should grow back. I'm sure it would be
happier in garden soil.

Has anyone any experience?

Lazarus

You should be fine, but don't plant it until spring, let it get used to the
idea before winter happens.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 22-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Lazarus Cooke contains these words:

I was told that my Lemon Verbena would not survive out of doors, and I
should keep it in a pot over winter.

But I've just read that in London (where I live) while the shoots may
be killed by the frost, it should grow back. I'm sure it would be
happier in garden soil.

Has anyone any experience?

I've never even heard rumours of it being tender. In my (onetime) garden
it survived an indicated -20°C during the winter of (IIRC) 1978/9. It
was still going strong fifteen years later.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 22-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Colette A. O'Brien

In message of Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Lazarus Cooke writes
I was told that my Lemon Verbena would not survive out of doors, and I
should keep it in a pot over winter.

But I've just read that in London (where I live) while the shoots may
be killed by the frost, it should grow back. I'm sure it would be
happier in garden soil.

Has anyone any experience?

My Lemon Verbena survived about 5 winters outside. It was in a fairly
sheltered bed, but we live on the top of the Mendip Hills in Somerset,
so cold and windy much of the time.

It did eventually die, but I reckon this was due to being smothered by a
nearby rosemary bush, not the winter cold.

It takes a long time to get going again in the Spring, many times I
thought it had died only to eventually find buds forming again. Lovely
plant, such a gorgeous scent, must get another one this year.
--
Rgds
Colette

Old 22-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from Lazarus Cooke contains these words:

I was told that my Lemon Verbena would not survive out of doors, and I
should keep it in a pot over winter.

But I've just read that in London (where I live) while the shoots may
be killed by the frost, it should grow back. I'm sure it would be
happier in garden soil.

Has anyone any experience?

I've never even heard rumours of it being tender. In my (onetime) garden
it survived an indicated -20°C during the winter of (IIRC) 1978/9. It
was still going strong fifteen years later.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with tough-as-old-boots lemon
balm, (melissa) ? LB has crinkly leaves the size of mint leaves. LV has
smaller smooth leaves and smells much more lemony.

Janet

Old 23-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Just to be su is everyone talking about the same plant? To me, this is
Lippia citrodora which has had a name change, I know.

Dunno. It clumps up into a stand of slightly peppermint-looking plants,
though slightly shinier, a tad more crinkled and strongly lemony when
handled.

Old 23-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough .. contains
these words:

Are you sure you're not confusing it with tough-as-old-boots lemon
balm, (melissa) ? LB has crinkly leaves the size of mint leaves. LV has
smaller smooth leaves and smells much more lemony.

Sounds like it. It was there when I bought the place and it was still
there when I sold it.

Ah well. No idea about the verbena, then.

Old 23-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Just to be su is everyone talking about the same plant? To me, this

is
Lippia citrodora which has had a name change, I know.

Dunno. It clumps up into a stand of slightly peppermint-looking plants,
though slightly shinier, a tad more crinkled and strongly lemony when
handled.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

I think you may be talking about Lemon Balm not Lemon verbena which is a
woody shrub 6-8 feet high and across the latter most certainly will not
take -20c but may survive a -4c in a place with good drainage.

Old 23-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Lazarus Cooke

Thanks to everyone for this - yes it was lemon verbena, not lemon balm
I was talking about.

Thanks Colette. I was thinking of putting it beside the rosemary bush.
Now I'm not so sure.

I've always loved a tisane of the dried leaves. When I got the plant I
discovered that the fresh ones are different, and even better.

Remover the rock from the email address

Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant mynew bought lemon tree? [email protected] Gardening 2 25-05-2008 04:22 AM
'Lemon verbena' Sacha United Kingdom 22 07-12-2007 11:51 AM
Lemon-scented something - lemon-scented.jpg Ann Garden Photos 5 07-08-2007 06:09 PM
Lemon Verbena SageCat United Kingdom 1 04-06-2006 03:20 PM
Pests in Verbena and Rhododendron Peter James United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM