Old 06-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Wet, Wet, Wet

In article ,
Nick Wagg writes:
| Tumbleweed wrote:
|
| LOL it was only a few weeks ago they were warning about water shortages and
| saying it wasnt feasible we'd get enough rain to compensate for the dry
| summer.
|
| They were referring to the South East which gets most of its water
| from aquifers, because rain takes a long time to soak into them.
| The rain that has fallen recently will make very little difference
| to the aquifers so I expect hosepipe bans again this Summer, here in
| Cambridge.

I was under the impression that several of our sources had about
a 6 month lag, but others are much longer. The recent 'bans' have
had virtually nothing to do with a lack of rainfall, as we have now
had several very wet years in a row.

In other parts of the country, there have been problems with a lack
of storage capacity (i.e. not enough to last through a summer with
little rain), but that doesn't really apply here as we get our
water from deep aquifers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Nick Wagg writes:
| Tumbleweed wrote:
|
| LOL it was only a few weeks ago they were warning about water shortages and
| saying it wasnt feasible we'd get enough rain to compensate for the dry
| summer.
|
| They were referring to the South East which gets most of its water
| from aquifers, because rain takes a long time to soak into them.
| The rain that has fallen recently will make very little difference
| to the aquifers so I expect hosepipe bans again this Summer, here in
| Cambridge.

I was under the impression that several of our sources had about
a 6 month lag, but others are much longer. The recent 'bans' have
had virtually nothing to do with a lack of rainfall, as we have now
had several very wet years in a row.

In other parts of the country, there have been problems with a lack
of storage capacity (i.e. not enough to last through a summer with
little rain), but that doesn't really apply here as we get our
water from deep aquifers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

wet wet wet summer zaax[_2_] United Kingdom 23 18-03-2013 03:03 PM
Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM