Old 10-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Alan

Default Builders on my lawn

I have had some building work done and the builders have had their
mixers and stores on a part of my lawn.

It is now bare and rather sandy with builders sand, over the normal
clayish soil.

Do I aerate, feed,rake and hope or should I reseed/returf it to save
time.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2004, 11:44 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:37:16 +0000, Alan Alan@WilliamsHQGet orf
moiland.fsnet.co.uk. wrote:

I have had some building work done and the builders have had their
mixers and stores on a part of my lawn.

It is now bare and rather sandy with builders sand, over the normal
clayish soil.

Do I aerate, feed,rake and hope or should I reseed/returf it to save
time.

Have absolutely no useful advice, but couldn't help thinking of
"pigeons on the grass, alas." And some small hope that "builders" were
some species of nesting birds.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Alan Alan@WilliamsHQGet orf moiland.fsnet.co.uk. contains these words:

I have had some building work done and the builders have had their
mixers and stores on a part of my lawn.

It is now bare and rather sandy with builders sand, over the normal
clayish soil.

Do I aerate, feed,rake and hope or should I reseed/returf it to save
time.

You won't be putting the deckchairs out just yet, I guess? I'd rake the
sand and stuff in and leave it. It'll recover quickly enough. Probably.

If the stuff has been there so long it's killed the roots, then some
seed and a sprinkling of sand and fine peat to (just) cover it will
restore it, though you'll be lucky if the two bits match exactly. (Which
is why I say try leaving it for a bit.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 11-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Neil

"Alan" Alan@WilliamsHQGet orf moiland.fsnet.co.uk. wrote in message
I have had some building work done and the builders have had their
mixers and stores on a part of my lawn.

It is now bare and rather sandy with builders sand, over the normal
clayish soil.

Do I aerate, feed,rake and hope or should I reseed/returf it to save
time.

Thanks

Check there is no cement or other chemical on the lawn. When raking, use
the wire lawn variety and push down hard. Sprinkling some seed over the
patch will then help also.
Neil

Old 11-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Spider

Hi Alan,
I've had this problem in the past.
What you do depends on whether 'bare' means bare soil or flattened brown
grass.
If the latter, it's well worth waiting. Certainly aerate when the weather
improves so relieve compaction. When the grass starts to green up, feed
with a spring lawn fertiliser, followed by good basic lawn care.
If the former, you will still need to relieve compaction and improve the
soil. It is then up to you whether you start from seed or returf.
Personally, wallet permitting, I would returf. After the grief and turmoil
of a building project, I would want to get back to normal as soon as
possible.
Spider