Old 12-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default herbicide for dandelions?

The message
from "ned" contains these words:

/snip/

six acre field at that, and I dug the weeds out with a thistle

spud
and
a parsnip fork.)

..... a man after my own heart.

Unfortunately, this won't do for dandelions. They will re-sprout

from
the tiniest fragment of root left behind.

Well, maybe the UK dandelions might be a little less persistent. There
seems to be a critical amount of root which will eventually resprout.
But I reckon that if you can get half the root out, it will take the
hint! But I do agree that simply getting the top inch or so out, will
only cause it to branch and come back worse than ever.

Dandelions were the least of my worries: I had creeping thistle amongst
other things.

Fortunately the goats took care of the roots - but only after I'd dug
them out. Pigs would have done it for me, but I didn't have one/any.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Nick Wagg

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from contains these words:

Attachment 1: ,Text/HTML

Such are generally stripped out by ISPs' servers.

Probably an ad. I got that feel from his post.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:43:39 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article ,
writes

There is also a liquid called Greensweep that you can put on the end of
your garden hose and works really well. Same as weed and feed.

Yes, but that wouldn't work here - if you remember, the OP wanted to
kill the dandelions but not the other wild flowers, and what you are
describing would kill all the wild flowers.

Generally, to encourage wild flowers, you need to reduce the fertility
of the soil so that they can compete more successfully against the more
aggressive weeds. As well as targeting the dandelions, it would be a
good idea not to apply fertiliser, and to make sure all grass cuttings
are taken away.

Herbicides of any flavor have a very low IQ. Wouldn't it be nice
if...? If specific weeds are targetted, specific application is
required. 3 acres seems like a lot, but if I could do my 1/4 acre lawn
in 20 minutes, it doesn't seem impossble that 3 acres could be treated
in a weekend.

"Weed Hound" for Dandelions... some thoughts Brian Gardening 8 07-01-2005 02:27 AM
herbicide for dandelions? Brian Mitchell United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
Killing Dandelions Andy & Lucinda Lawns 3 21-04-2003 10:56 AM
Dandelions Shadow Gardening 31 03-03-2003 09:51 PM
OT Spring Beauties & Dandelions Nedra Ponds 6 04-02-2003 11:04 PM