Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Sacha

Default Origin of greenhouses?

There is a story put about that the greenhouse that is being restored at
Greenway (Agatha Christie's house) was built by Spanish prisoners in the
days of the Armada.
Ray and I think this very unlikely but as we don't know the date of the
first greenhouses, we can't be sure. Personally, I think it's more likely
to prisoners of war from either the Peninsula war or the Napoleonic war
because Dartmoor prison was housed to take the latter.
Anyone any idea of the date of the first greenhouse in this country?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:26:35 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

There is a story put about that the greenhouse that is being restored at
Greenway (Agatha Christie's house) was built by Spanish prisoners in the
days of the Armada.
Ray and I think this very unlikely but as we don't know the date of the
first greenhouses, we can't be sure. Personally, I think it's more likely
to prisoners of war from either the Peninsula war or the Napoleonic war
because Dartmoor prison was housed to take the latter.
Anyone any idea of the date of the first greenhouse in this country?

Here's a site with *some* info, 'though not a specific answer to your
question.

http://www.sfasu.edu/ag/horticulture...-%20trends.htm

Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Simon Matterface

Might be Oxford University Botanical Gardens c.1621. I think this is the
oldest, and was constructed because of an expected severe winter. This does
suggest, however, that perhaps the properties of greenhouses were already
well known.

Greenway House was originally an Elizabethan structure (16th C) but I do no
think the greenhouse would have been built before the house was
reconstructered during the Georgian era.

. uk...

Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Sacha

Simon Matterface12/2/04 11:24

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
There is a story put about that the greenhouse that is being restored at
Greenway (Agatha Christie's house) was built by Spanish prisoners in the
days of the Armada.
Ray and I think this very unlikely but as we don't know the date of the
first greenhouses, we can't be sure. Personally, I think it's more likely
to prisoners of war from either the Peninsula war or the Napoleonic war
because Dartmoor prison was housed to take the latter.
Anyone any idea of the date of the first greenhouse in this country?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

(top posting corrected for logical progression! ;- )

But if there was an earlier house on the site, that might account for the
idea of an early greenhouse, I suppose. It's such a favoured position that
it wouldn't surprise me if other houses had been on that site before.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk