Old 18-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Kay Easton

Default Secateurs

In article , PK
writes

IMHO they make good sense for the keen amateur just as they do for the
professionals. As an amateur I spent far more on multiple replacements than
had I gone for the Felco from the off.

I lose tools. I'm much happier losing cheap tools.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 19-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:
In article , PK
writes

IMHO they make good sense for the keen amateur just as they do for the
professionals. As an amateur I spent far more on multiple replacements than
had I gone for the Felco from the off.

I lose tools. I'm much happier losing cheap tools.

The only tools I have lost (permanently) have been stolen. I am still
using two mallets I made around 1962, and a screwdriver I made in 1969.

However, tools do hide down the back of virtual sofas innit.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 19-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Victoria Clare

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in
:

"PK" wrote in message

Next time you are at any from of professional garden or show, have a
look

at
what the pros are using. Virtually 100% Felco. They are without doubt
the best and all the various imitations are very pale.

And if you are a Pro and make heavy use of them (and heavy profit from
your activities?) then
they are perfect.
If you aren't a pro and don't prune massive amounts then save your
money for something else.

I'm definitely not a pro, but I seem to use my secateurs more than any
other tool. I think I'm a heavy user even if not making a profit!

I do have a spare pair of Wolf anvil secateurs, but the felcos are nicer.

I do lose tools, but for some reason I've never lost the Felcos, maybe
because they are red, but maybe because I know they weren't cheap, so I
keep a careful eye on them!

Victoria

Old 19-02-2004, 06:03 PM
D Russell

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message

"Rod" wrote in message

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message

(The bypass blades will attempt to pass either side of the wood rather

than
cut on tougher jobs,

Not if they are sharp, Felco and used properly.(don't use secateurs

where
you need loppers)

Felco are good, but you will find that a cheap pair of bypass

secateurs
will perform well for many years - you
can get them for as little as £1.49 in Asda!

See my remarks above - buy cheap buy twice - or more.

Being a pensioner I'd rather buy cheap and then buy plants with the cash
left over.
Felco are fine tools, but overkill for the average gardener.

Well you say that, but I have three or four sets of cheap secateurs, and
they have all, at one time or another, pinched my hand, or got snagged on
something I was trying to cut. This has never happened with the Felco No 2's
I got for Christmas 2002. They have so far outperformed every other pair,
and are in almost constant use.

The saving in pain alone has, IMO, been well worth it.
Duncan

Old 24-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Broadback

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , PK
writes

I lose tools. I'm much happier losing cheap tools.

The only tools I have lost (permanently) have been stolen. I am still
using two mallets I made around 1962, and a screwdriver I made in 1969.

However, tools do hide down the back of virtual sofas innit.

I never lose tools, or anything else, I just put them in a safe place,
and can't remember where the safe place is! :-(

--
Do not reply to the email address. As all replies to this address are
deleted on arrival.

Secateurs [email protected] United Kingdom 0 13-02-2004 11:27 PM
Felco secateurs Robert United Kingdom 8 03-08-2003 09:42 AM
secateurs Derryl Killan United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 06:20 PM
secateurs Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:14 AM
Recommended Secateurs ? Tim United Kingdom 11 03-02-2003 08:15 PM