Old 15-02-2004, 01:03 AM
Jan

Default Chewed Viburnum

Something is chewing the heck out of the leaves of my Viburnum Tinus Eve
Price. I thought it might be vine weevil, but the leaves are chewed in the
middles, not around the edges (vine weevil chew the edges, right?)

I've found one large bright green caterpillar, and 2 small larvae that have
rolled up the leaves with a sticky web, but that's all. Oh, and one 7-spot
ladybird.

Are pests normally alive and active at this time of year? Does anyone know
what might be chewing the leaves?

Thanks

Old 15-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Jan
writes
Something is chewing the heck out of the leaves of my Viburnum Tinus Eve
Price. I thought it might be vine weevil, but the leaves are chewed in the
middles, not around the edges (vine weevil chew the edges, right?)

I've found one large bright green caterpillar, and 2 small larvae that have
rolled up the leaves with a sticky web, but that's all. Oh, and one 7-spot
ladybird.

Are pests normally alive and active at this time of year?

No, but this winter is a warm one. All those who feel global warming
will mean all-year gardening might stop to think it will also mean all-
year pests.

Does anyone know
what might be chewing the leaves?

The caterpillar is vegetarian
Ladybird larvae eat greenfly.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 15-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jan
writes

Steve, so you've got exactly the same problems with your Viburnum Tinus?
What is your conclusion? Is it the green caterpillars, do you think? What
will you do about it, if anything? I haven't been able to see any other
pests on the shrub, but there are definitely more holes since the last time
I looked a couple of weeks ago.

Caterpillars are baby butterflies (or moths). The Viburnum will
recover. Take your pick.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 15-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Tom Bennett

"Jan" wrote Something is chewing the heck out of the leaves of my
Viburnum Tinus Eve

I've found one large bright green caterpillar, and 2 small larvae that

have
rolled up the leaves with a sticky web, but that's all. Oh, and one

7-spot
ladybird.

Are pests normally alive and active at this time of year? Does anyone

know
what might be chewing the leaves?

Look for the larvae of one of the Winter Moths. A recce after dark with a
torch reveals them munching happily through buds and leaves, often in
surprisingly cold weather. I've known them to be active in sheltered
spots in the winter, when there's been frost on the ground in more exposed
parts of the garden.

- Tom Bennett

Old 15-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Tom Bennett

"Jan" wrote Something is chewing the heck out of the leaves of my
Viburnum Tinus Eve

I've found one large bright green caterpillar, and 2 small larvae that

have
rolled up the leaves with a sticky web, but that's all. Oh, and one

7-spot
ladybird.

Are pests normally alive and active at this time of year? Does anyone

know
what might be chewing the leaves?

Look for the larvae of one of the Winter Moths. A recce after dark with a
torch reveals them munching happily through buds and leaves, often in
surprisingly cold weather. I've known them to be active in sheltered
spots in the winter, when there's been frost on the ground in more exposed
parts of the garden.

- Tom Bennett

Chewed Vegetables Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 1 17-08-2014 10:06 PM
What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigationsetup? Danny D.[_5_] Gardening 139 02-07-2013 03:14 PM
Hostas - Getting chewed up. Freddie Lawns 11 11-06-2006 03:11 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM