Old 10-06-2006, 01:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Freddie

Default Hostas - Getting chewed up.

Hi all,

1st time poster - dinna beat me up!

Ok, so I have about 10 nice sized hosta's in the back garden but they
are looking pretty ragged. I reckon the gypsy moth larvae are going to
lunch on them. Any recommendation for a bug spray that will repel or
kill them and not kill the plant?

I also have many squirrels and chipmunks attacking my bird feeders and
while quite comical, they are getting pretty aggressive now.

BB Gun? Maybe a .22 to show who's boss...

Any help is appreciated!

Freddie

Old 10-06-2006, 02:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Freddie wrote:
Hi all,

1st time poster - dinna beat me up!

Ok, so I have about 10 nice sized hosta's in the back garden but they
are looking pretty ragged. I reckon the gypsy moth larvae are going to
lunch on them. Any recommendation for a bug spray that will repel or
kill them and not kill the plant?

Deer love hostas. Garden stores have sprays that work well at least
until it rains.

I also have many squirrels and chipmunks attacking my bird feeders and
while quite comical, they are getting pretty aggressive now.

Put a metal Slinky over the pole or rope that holds up the feeders.

BB Gun? Maybe a .22 to show who's boss...

You actually want the squirrels to eat up the dropped seed. You don't
want to attract rats or bears.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Freddie" wrote in message
Hi all,

1st time poster - dinna beat me up!

Ok, so I have about 10 nice sized hosta's in the back garden but they
are looking pretty ragged. I reckon the gypsy moth larvae are going to
lunch on them. Any recommendation for a bug spray that will repel or
kill them and not kill the plant?

I also have many squirrels and chipmunks attacking my bird feeders and
while quite comical, they are getting pretty aggressive now.

BB Gun? Maybe a .22 to show who's boss...

Any help is appreciated!

Freddie

It's Mr Woodchuck that eats our Hostas - Hav-a-hart traps.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Freddie" wrote in message
Hi all,

1st time poster - dinna beat me up!

Ok, so I have about 10 nice sized hosta's in the back garden but they
are looking pretty ragged. I reckon the gypsy moth larvae are going to
lunch on them. Any recommendation for a bug spray that will repel or
kill them and not kill the plant?

I also have many squirrels and chipmunks attacking my bird feeders and
while quite comical, they are getting pretty aggressive now.

BB Gun? Maybe a .22 to show who's boss...

Any help is appreciated!

Freddie

It's Mr Woodchuck that eats our Hostas - Hav-a-hart traps.

The same give-a-shit .22 that works on squirrels works on woodchucks.
What does one do with a woodchuck in a trap?

Old 10-06-2006, 10:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

. ..

"Freddie" wrote in message
Hi all,

1st time poster - dinna beat me up!

Ok, so I have about 10 nice sized hosta's in the back garden but they
are looking pretty ragged. I reckon the gypsy moth larvae are going to
lunch on them. Any recommendation for a bug spray that will repel or
kill them and not kill the plant?

I also have many squirrels and chipmunks attacking my bird feeders and
while quite comical, they are getting pretty aggressive now.

BB Gun? Maybe a .22 to show who's boss...

Any help is appreciated!

Freddie

It's Mr Woodchuck that eats our Hostas - Hav-a-hart traps.

The same give-a-shit .22 that works on squirrels works on woodchucks.
What does one do with a woodchuck in a trap?

I have dropped them off on the grounds of a corporation I was ****ed off
at - and I have shot them in the trap which was safer than have a .22
ricochet toward the nearest house (about 800' away). I can tell you they
are tough little buggers and a .22 in the ass is not going to stop them &
you can forget the pellet gun.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

. ..

"Freddie" wrote in message
[...]

I've shot many woodchucks on my property, and none in the ass. Why would you
shoot one there, that's cruel.
I use a .22 short on squirrels and a long rifle hollow point on woodchucks.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

. ..

"Freddie" wrote in message
[...]

With a scope no doubt.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

. ..

"Freddie" wrote in message
[...]

No need for a scope. I have a single shot Winchester Mod 67A with open iron
sights.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

The deer here in NJ are definitely eating my hostas. They seem to like
them, as there are other plants that they only eat in winter. But
hostas they seem to like all the time.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

wrote in message
ups.com...
The deer here in NJ are definitely eating my hostas. They seem to like
them, as there are other plants that they only eat in winter. But
hostas they seem to like all the time.

You have hostas in the winter? I live in PA, and the hostas are long gone by
wintertime.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chas Hurst wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
The deer here in NJ are definitely eating my hostas. They seem to like
them, as there are other plants that they only eat in winter. But
hostas they seem to like all the time.

You have hostas in the winter? I live in PA, and the hostas are long gone by
wintertime.

No, sorry for the confusion. Wat I meant was the deer will eat plants
like yews and arbovitae in the winter, but they leave them alone in the
summer, when other plants they like more, like the hostas are around.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

wrote in message
oups.com...

Chas Hurst wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
The deer here in NJ are definitely eating my hostas. They seem to like
them, as there are other plants that they only eat in winter. But
hostas they seem to like all the time.

You have hostas in the winter? I live in PA, and the hostas are long gone
by
wintertime.

No, sorry for the confusion. Wat I meant was the deer will eat plants
like yews and arbovitae in the winter, but they leave them alone in the
summer, when other plants they like more, like the hostas are around.

Deer love yews more than any other plant. I got rid of the few I had because
they were an attraction and an or'dourve for the azaleas and rhodies. The
hostas are planted closer to the house in an attempt to protect them. So far
so good. That stinky, expensive deer repellant seems to work-on most plants.

Chewed Vegetables Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 1 17-08-2014 10:06 PM
What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigationsetup? Danny D.[_5_] Gardening 139 02-07-2013 03:14 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM
Chewed Viburnum Jan United Kingdom 31 17-02-2004 11:26 PM