Old 15-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Lee and Kath

Default 'Standard' cornus?

I saw some dogwoods in council-run shrubberies which were 3 ft single stems with a pollard like top,
so the coloured stems were raised from ground height. My garden is too full to allow room for normal
pruning and display. This standard-ising seems a good idea for congested plots.
Does anyone know how to do this? If I cut back a dogwood to one stem, won't it sprout from the
bottom again?

Kath
Old 15-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lee and Kath wrote:
I saw some dogwoods in council-run shrubberies which were 3 ft single stems with a pollard like top,
so the coloured stems were raised from ground height. My garden is too full to allow room for normal
pruning and display. This standard-ising seems a good idea for congested plots.
Does anyone know how to do this? If I cut back a dogwood to one stem, won't it sprout from the
bottom again?

Probably, but a lot of such plants sprout more from the base when
there is no established stem; their reaction to having their main
stems removed is to sprout vigorously. This is the principle used
in coppicing. I would have a go and see.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.