Old 16-02-2004, 01:20 AM
andrewpreece

Default Specimen tree

Hello Folks,

I am looking for ideas for a specimen tree ( a standard ), no higher
than 25 feet, if possible less. I'm in a v. mild area, clay soil and the
tree would be in full sun, pretty much. It would be nice if it didn't cast
dense shadow.

It's a bit of a cliche but Robinia Pseudoacacia "Frisia" looks a
candidate, though I'm disappointed to see it doesn't flower. Other
candidates are Mimosa, some form of Japanese maple that I could trim in the
"cloud" style perhaps, maybe even the humble hawthorn ( I found one growing
at the bottom of my garden the other day, it's still only small ).

I'd really like something that had attractive flowers, attractive
foliage/stems, and coloured up in autumn, maybe even with berries but I may
be asking too much here! BTW I already have a Magnolia and a Laburnum ( nice
flower tassles, nothing to get excited about for the other 11 months of the
year ).

If anyone has any suggestions or any pro/con comments on the trees
I've mentioned I would be grateful,

cheers,

Andy.