Old 16-02-2004, 01:29 AM
andrewpreece

Default Specimen tree

Hello Folks,

I am looking for ideas for a specimen tree ( a standard ), no higher
than 25 feet, if possible less. I'm in a v. mild area, clay soil and the
tree would be in full sun, pretty much. It would be nice if it didn't cast
dense shadow.

It's a bit of a cliche but Robinia Pseudoacacia "Frisia" looks a
candidate, though I'm disappointed to see it doesn't flower. Other
candidates are Mimosa, some form of Japanese maple that I could trim in the
"cloud" style perhaps, maybe even the humble hawthorn ( I found one growing
at the bottom of my garden the other day, it's still only small ).

I'd really like something that had attractive flowers, attractive
foliage/stems, and coloured up in autumn, maybe even with berries but I may
be asking too much here! BTW I already have a Magnolia and a Laburnum ( nice
flower tassles, nothing to get excited about for the other 11 months of the
year ).

If anyone has any suggestions or any pro/con comments on the trees
I've mentioned I would be grateful,

cheers,

Andy.

Old 16-02-2004, 04:38 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "andrewpreece" contains these words:

I'd really like something that had attractive flowers, attractive
foliage/stems, and coloured up in autumn, maybe even with berries but I may
be asking too much here! BTW I already have a Magnolia and a Laburnum ( nice
flower tassles, nothing to get excited about for the other 11 months of the
year ).

Have you considered an Arbutus of some type?

A. unedo seems to fit all your criteria.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 16-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Kay Easton

In article , andrewpreece
writes
Hello Folks,

I am looking for ideas for a specimen tree ( a standard ), no higher
than 25 feet, if possible less. I'm in a v. mild area, clay soil and the
tree would be in full sun, pretty much. It would be nice if it didn't cast
dense shadow.

It's a bit of a cliche but Robinia Pseudoacacia "Frisia" looks a
candidate, though I'm disappointed to see it doesn't flower. Other
candidates are Mimosa, some form of Japanese maple that I could trim in the
"cloud" style perhaps, maybe even the humble hawthorn ( I found one growing
at the bottom of my garden the other day, it's still only small ).

There are many other species of Crataegus (hawthorn). We have one with
faintly downy leaves and *huge* hips. Not particularly great for autumn
colour, but they give the flowers and the fruit.

I'd really like something that had attractive flowers, attractive
foliage/stems, and coloured up in autumn, maybe even with berries but I may
be asking too much here!

Amalenchier - good spring colour, flowers, berries, stunning autumn
colour - but more of a tall bush than a tree. Sorbus (mountain ash and
relatives) - flowers, fruit, autumn colour, light delicate foliage.
Choose from yellow, orange, white or pink berries. Snake bark maple -
autumn colour and attractive bark in winter - but not sure it'd like
full sun.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 16-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"andrewpreece" writes:

| I am looking for ideas for a specimen tree ( a standard ), no higher
| than 25 feet, if possible less. I'm in a v. mild area, clay soil and the
| tree would be in full sun, pretty much. It would be nice if it didn't cast
| dense shadow.
|
| It's a bit of a cliche but Robinia Pseudoacacia "Frisia" looks a
| candidate, though I'm disappointed to see it doesn't flower. Other
| candidates are Mimosa, some form of Japanese maple that I could trim in the
| "cloud" style perhaps, maybe even the humble hawthorn ( I found one growing
| at the bottom of my garden the other day, it's still only small ).

Unless that is a dwarf form of Robinia, don't touch it. They get a
lot bigger, fast, and both sucker and seed. Unless it is a very
sheltered spot, all Acacias (mimosa) are iffy. Most Craetagus are
very slow-growing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Sacha

andrewpreece16/2/04 1:06
[...]

Have a Google Image search for Cornus controversa aureomarginata. As a
specimen 'show' tree it would be unequalled, IMO. (It's also known as 'the
wedding cake tree')
Another beautiful foliage tree is Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst'.
I have also seen a Cotoneaster grown as a (very small) but really beautiful
and unusual standard. It looks like a sort of umbrella shape and is on a
patch of grass near the zebra crossing outside Dartington Cider Press for
anyone who knows this area! However, I doubt it's more than 4' or so tall.
Mimosa is lovely in the right climate but both it and Japanese maples don't
take kindly to much wind. That said, our Mimosa which is currently looking
so wonderful is a ten year old shoot from the base of one blown down in a
storm! The maple Sen-Kaki has wonderful coral red stems in winter and
leaves that go butter yellow in autumn and are spectacular.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Annette

"andrewpreece" wrote in message ...
Hello Folks,

I am looking for ideas for a specimen tree ( a standard ), no higher
than 25 feet, if possible less. I'm in a v. mild area, clay soil and the
tree would be in full sun, pretty much. It would be nice if it didn't cast
dense shadow.

I'd really like something that had attractive flowers, attractive
foliage/stems, and coloured up in autumn, maybe even with berries but I may
be asking too much here! BTW I already have a Magnolia and a Laburnum ( nice
flower tassles, nothing to get excited about for the other 11 months of the
year ).

Well, it only fulfils part of your requirements, but I love cytisus
battandieri...amazing flowers, silvery foliage, fascinating scent of
pineapples....

Annette
Old 16-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Philip

"andrewpreece" wrote in message ...
Hello Folks,

I am looking for ideas for a specimen tree ( a standard ), no higher
than 25 feet, if possible less. I'm in a v. mild area, clay soil and the
tree would be in full sun, pretty much. It would be nice if it didn't cast
dense shadow.

Have you thought of looking at Malus . More commonly known as Crab
Apple. They offer flowers in spring, fruits in autumn and you can
select the size by getting one on the right rootstock.

I like your idea of Hawthorn (Crataegus), there are some good ones to
choose from. But from memory I think they may want to outgrow what I
would call specimen size.

Nice question I look forward to seeing others contributions.