Old 19-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Liz Robinson

Default Azalea not flowering

Could anyone help me out please? Two years ago I bought a beautiful Azalea
(the new varierty which can flourish in any soil) which was abundantly
flowering at the time. since then it's not flowered, but seems to be stuck
at the budding stage. Any suggestions? Should I cut it back or not?

Liz

---

Old 19-02-2004, 11:35 PM
jane

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:04:09 +0700, "Liz Robinson"
wrote:

~Could anyone help me out please? Two years ago I bought a beautiful Azalea
~(the new varierty which can flourish in any soil) which was abundantly
~flowering at the time. since then it's not flowered, but seems to be stuck
~at the budding stage. Any suggestions? Should I cut it back or not?
~
I know azaleas and rhodies do tend to get blind buds if they don't get
enough water in June/July. They need a lot around then. Preferably
rainwater, regardless of what they say about alkalinity.

May be too late for this year, but try keeping it well watered in
summer and by next spring should have flowers that open.

I take it the leaves aren't showing signs of chlorosis?

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 25-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Spider

Hello Liz,
I wouldn't be too worried just yet. Many rhodies and azaleas form their
flowering buds very early (late autumn/early winter). Nature then performs
her very own process of freeze-drying to stall the buds until the weather is
right for flowering. My own Rhodo. cilipnence has been doing this reliably
for years; 'she' is just about to break bud and flower beautifully.
Give your azalea a bit more time - it's still very early for most rhodies.
If the buds start to show signs of unremitting necrosis, however, cut back
to a good strong bud. If you don't, the stems will die back from the tip
downwards.
After flowering :-)/trimming :-((, feed with a rose fertiliser to encourage
next years flowers, and water really well during summer and autumn when
those flower buds are forming.
At the moment, I think you can still be really hopeful.
Spider