Old 20-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Pam Moore

Default Runner Beans -

Regarding runner bean Desiree, I forgot to say that it is also
stringless which suits my laszy nature!

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Mike Crossland

"Nick Maclaren" wrote:

I grew Painted Lady once and, while it was pretty, the beans were
stringy and ill-flavoured. I tend to grow Polestar.
---

I too am growing Polestar this year. Last year I tried Scarlet Runner and
had a very impressive germination from the beans, so much so that I was able
to give my friend enough plants for his needs. He put his plants in ordinary
garden soil with nothing added and no TLC and finished up with enough beans
to eat and freeze. I on the other hand, gave my runners all the TLC they
could possibly need, and ended up with half as many from the same number of
plants. However, I was still picking pods long after his had stopped
producing.

Mike Crossland

Old 26-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick wrote in message .after..
Bob wrote:

I'll second that. Also the old variety "Painted Lady" seems similarly

hardy
and you get beautiful flowers too. We grow them both and although they

did
suffer with the unusual heat and drought of last season they survived to
crop and also we got a superb crop late in the season too as the

temperature
went down, a second flush.

I grew Painted Lady once and, while it was pretty, the beans were
stringy and ill-flavoured. I tend to grow Polestar.

Not found that with P L, but I agree Polestar is a good'un too although we
have gone over to Desiree lately. If you grew both, a couple of Desiree and
then a couple of Polestar,that would make a nice red and white show. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 27-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Janet Bennett

Thanks for your recommendations, much appreciated.

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good runner bean to grow. I want to grow some

plants
for my parents' garden, but I know that they will be unable to attend to
them. Is there a variety that can cope with drought, good cropper, and

one
that you don't have to spray to set the flowers? I know I'm expecting a
lot, but does anyone know of such a variety?

Many thanks

Remove NOSPAM to reply
Jan

Old 27-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Janet Bennett

Thanks for your recommendations, much appreciated.

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good runner bean to grow. I want to grow some

plants
for my parents' garden, but I know that they will be unable to attend to
them. Is there a variety that can cope with drought, good cropper, and

one
that you don't have to spray to set the flowers? I know I'm expecting a
lot, but does anyone know of such a variety?

Many thanks

Remove NOSPAM to reply
Jan

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM