Old 19-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Janet Bennett

Default Runner Beans -

Can anyone recommend a good runner bean to grow. I want to grow some plants
for my parents' garden, but I know that they will be unable to attend to
them. Is there a variety that can cope with drought, good cropper, and one
that you don't have to spray to set the flowers? I know I'm expecting a
lot, but does anyone know of such a variety?

Many thanks

Remove NOSPAM to reply
Jan

Old 19-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:29:27 -0000, "Janet Bennett"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good runner bean to grow. I want to grow some plants
for my parents' garden, but I know that they will be unable to attend to
them. Is there a variety that can cope with drought, good cropper, and one
that you don't have to spray to set the flowers? I know I'm expecting a
lot, but does anyone know of such a variety?

I jhave had good results from Desiree. White floered, said not to be
so attractive to birds. I never spray mine and they set quite well.

Many thanks

Remove NOSPAM to reply
Jan

Pam in Bristol

Old 19-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pam wrote in message after"Janet Bennett"asked
Can anyone recommend a good runner bean to grow. I want to grow some

plants
for my parents' garden, but I know that they will be unable to attend to
them. Is there a variety that can cope with drought, good cropper, and

one
that you don't have to spray to set the flowers? I know I'm expecting a
lot, but does anyone know of such a variety?

I have had good results from Desiree. White flowered, said not to be
so attractive to birds. I never spray mine and they set quite well.

I'll second that. Also the old variety "Painted Lady" seems similarly hardy
and you get beautiful flowers too. We grow them both and although they did
suffer with the unusual heat and drought of last season they survived to
crop and also we got a superb crop late in the season too as the temperature
went down, a second flush.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 19-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

I'll second that. Also the old variety "Painted Lady" seems similarly hardy
and you get beautiful flowers too. We grow them both and although they did
suffer with the unusual heat and drought of last season they survived to
crop and also we got a superb crop late in the season too as the temperature
went down, a second flush.

I grew Painted Lady once and, while it was pretty, the beans were
stringy and ill-flavoured. I tend to grow Polestar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-02-2004, 12:14 AM
David Hill

I think I would try to find the continental type of Flat Pod bean, they are
less prone to going stringy and will probably do well with less water,

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 20-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Bennett
writes
Can anyone recommend a good runner bean to grow. I want to grow some plants
for my parents' garden, but I know that they will be unable to attend to
them. Is there a variety that can cope with drought, good cropper, and one
that you don't have to spray to set the flowers? I know I'm expecting a
lot, but does anyone know of such a variety?

Many thanks

Remove NOSPAM to reply
Jan

Don't buy seeds, I've got quite few spare if you let me have your
address. That way you won't lose out!

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Pam Moore

Regarding runner bean Desiree, I forgot to say that it is also
stringless which suits my laszy nature!

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Pam Moore

Regarding runner bean Desiree, I forgot to say that it is also
stringless which suits my laszy nature!

Pam in Bristol

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM