Old 20-02-2004, 11:44 PM
David Hill

Default Polytunnel gardening

"............ Is it better to erect the tunnel with its sides or ends
facing the prevailing wind, or does one site the tunnel according to compass
points? ................"

Well this depends on what you want to do with the tunnel.
If you want to use it for winter growing then East -West gives you maximum
winter sunlight and so more heat.
If you want it for Summer use then North-South will give you the best of
Morning and Evening sun..
If you can angle the ends a little..I move the door posts out from the end
line by about 6 to 9 inches, this cuts down the resistance to the wind a
little.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 21-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Paul Simonite contains these words:

I have ordered a tunnel from Northern Polytunnels Ltd. (18x24ft model).
I live in an exposed area (Caithness, north Scotland) but have shelter
either side of the intended tunnel site:

1. Is it better to erect the tunnel with its sides or ends facing the
prevailing wind, or does one site the tunnel according to compass
points?

Ends into the prevailing wind. Every time. And where you are, you'll
have to think about snow too. One of my friends in a very sheltered
little valley in Norfolk and on a plot of ground surrounded by tall
trees and hedges had his tunnel blown down twice.

On it being totally flattened by snow the next year he just gave up.

Much thought and planning is necessary. Think about extra bracing
struts, and even bracing guyropes, and if the tunnel is empty during the
winter it might be best to remove the leeward end, or both ends.

Another thought: you might be able to reduce its profile (bearing in
mind bedrock and water table) by sinking the whole thing a couple of
feet.

2. Any recommendations for plants?

You have plenty of light through the summer so I can't think of much
which you couldn't grow. I don't know how grapes would do though: I have
a sort-of feeling that might be asking too much.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/