Old 22-02-2004, 06:45 PM
mark EVANS

Default Cabbage Palms

Just a quickkie,

I have two very large cabbage palms in my garden which to be honst have now
got too big (15-16 feet high) for my little garden.
I dont want to simply cut them down so, could anyone give them a loving
home?

Mark ( southampton)

Old 22-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from "mark EVANS" contains these words:

Just a quickkie,

I have two very large cabbage palms in my garden which to be honst have now
got too big (15-16 feet high) for my little garden.
I dont want to simply cut them down so, could anyone give them a loving
home?

They'd probably need a crane to move the huge root systems :-)

If you want to keep the plants you can easily reduce them to a more
appropriate size. Cut the tops off, cut the trunks to ground level and
they will make new sheaves of leaves. Or, you could cut one to ground
level and leave the other one a stem a few feet high.

Janet.

Old 24-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "mark EVANS" contains these words:

Just a quickkie,

I have two very large cabbage palms in my garden which to be honst have

now
got too big (15-16 feet high) for my little garden.
I dont want to simply cut them down so, could anyone give them a loving
home?

They'd probably need a crane to move the huge root systems :-)

If you want to keep the plants you can easily reduce them to a more
appropriate size. Cut the tops off, cut the trunks to ground level and
they will make new sheaves of leaves. Or, you could cut one to ground
level and leave the other one a stem a few feet high.

Janet.

I agree with Janet, there is no way you will be able to remove them (they
will keep regrowing from the deep roots) so a cut back to restore them to a
smaller size would work well.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

[...]

Someone once told me that their roots grow down as deep as the tree
grows up. May be an exaggeration but they sure do grow deep. That
being said, my neighbour did successfully remove a tree that had
stupidly been planted along side the path to the house which meant the
postman and milkman risked life and limb every day. It was about 8 feet
high and he seemed to dig down about 4 to remove it.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias

Old 24-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Chris Boulby

[...]

Difference in young Washingtonia Palms John B. Australia 3 28-03-2003 12:56 AM
Palms Plant Biology 0 27-03-2003 12:20 PM
Help burn palms Sue Australia 1 14-02-2003 02:22 AM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM
Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms Clive Wilson United Kingdom 4 22-11-2002 06:11 PM