Old 24-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Siberian gardening

OK, OK . . . I know you think it was a silly question. It's actually my
job in local government to look into these things, so perhaps I can be
forgiven some of my silliness.

If it's your job, you should go back to the original research that
came up with the scenarios and not rely on newgroups. There is a lot
of sense talked on u.r.g. to do with gardening but few would claim that
it is an authoritative source for information on climate change.

Nor would I expect it to be . . . but it's the best source of info on
gardening that I've found! And I've learned at least one thing about climate
change on here, too, and I'm not too proud to say it!

As well as working as an Energy Officer, I just have a personal enthusiasm
for, and interest in, this stuff. I hope it's not offensive in any way.

Thanks for all the advice - it's much appreciated.

Andrew

Old 24-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Tom Bennett

"Tumbleweed" wrote
snip
BTW, IIRC their scenario was set 50 years in the future not 15. And our
climate wouldnt be Siberian either, since as we are told the Gulf Stream
keeps us warm in winter but cooler in summer, the shutting dwn of the GS
would mean colder winters, but also hotter summers. So the fruit and

veg
would be more mediterranean I'd have thought, but nothing you'd want to
overwinter.

IF the "Atlantic Conveyor" closed down, then the N. Atlantic would cool
down and the higher latitudes would suffer most. If the prevailing winds
remained predominantly westerly they would come in over a cooler ocean,
winter and summer, and both seasons would be colder, but probably not
extreme. The northerly winds of the present "cold snap", for example,
would be that much colder, but air anywhere from the W to NE in summer
would be cooler as well.

There's some uncertainty, however, over the atmospheric circulation under
such a new setup, as this is influenced by sea temperatures. If the
various low and high pressure "belts" repositioned themselves, we might
lose our existing westerlies, with continental air then prevailing. We
could then end up with a climate more like that of the NE Asian seaboard,
which is an altogether more extreme affair.

- Tom.

Old 25-02-2004, 02:01 PM
martin

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:37:05 -0000, "Tom Bennett"
wrote:

[...]

There's even more uncertainty about the science behind the forecast
that "Atlantic Conveyor" will close down.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 26-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Andy Hunt

To bring the thread back 'on topic' . . . (only just, I admit!) - I feel
sure that ultra-hardy, fast-breeding plants (mares' tails?) will play a

huge
part in the conversion of dead planets into habitable ones.

Interesting thought, Andy. Obviously, interstellarbiocompanies will
soon take out patents on marestail, couch grass, bindweed, Japanese
knotweed, etc etc, and refuse to let us common earth-bound gardeners
grow them.

It'll be tough gardening without them, but we'll just have to struggle
along as best we can.

Lol :-) Let's hope they find a use for red spider mites, too!

Andrew

Siberian gardening Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 24-02-2004 01:39 AM
[IBC] Siberian Crab Dylan Blew Bonsai 1 30-05-2003 04:32 PM
Siberian Iris Gloria Gardening 3 27-05-2003 05:08 PM
Siberian tomatoes? poppy seeds Jan Flora Edible Gardening 2 31-03-2003 05:08 AM
Siberian Lavender vericaulk Gardening 2 30-03-2003 02:32 AM