Old 27-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Plants arrived today....

The message
from "Heather" contains
these words:

Hi all

I've put them all outside - the instructions that came with them said don't
put them in a dry or heated area as they will dry out too much. I've
unwrapped the plastic wrapped ones and put them in an unheated shed to keep
the snow off the roots.

I hope this doesn't mean you've left the roots open to the air. It's
important to keep the roots from drying out.

Janet G
Old 29-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Heather
writes
Sacha wrote in message news:BC64193E.16628%s
If they've been raised in a frost free tunnel, they shouldn't be given more
than that now. Bringing them into the house won't do them any favours, IMO.
That will only 'soften them up'.

Yep - that's why I put them back outside again - and they promptly
disappeared overnight under a covering of snow! So I've rescued the
ones that don't have their roots in soil and put them in my unheated
shed for the moment until I can pot them into something - hopefully at
the weekend.

Snow isn't really a problem - the plants will be warmer under a covering
of snow than they will be in the open.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Heather

Thanks to all for suggestions. No I didn't leave roots exposed - just
didn't describe it very well!

I take Kay's point about the snow, but the last lot we had froze solid into
chunks of ice and then stayed for about three days. Did my little plants no
favours so I didn't want the same to happen this time. Anyway, everything
got tucked up in pots and compost at the weekend and will get planted when
it looks a bit bigger and when the garden is ready for it!

Heather