Old 06-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Glen Able

Default Hollyhocks from seed

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Hi all,

Anyone know of any hollyhocks seed varieties that I can sow this spring
which'll flower this year? Preferably not the frilly double types, which
annoy me

thanks

Cheers all for the help. Dunno why hollyhocks aren't very popular. Don't
recall ever seeing plants for sale at garden centres.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Glen Able
writes

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Hi all,

Anyone know of any hollyhocks seed varieties that I can sow this spring
which'll flower this year? Preferably not the frilly double types, which
annoy me

thanks

Cheers all for the help. Dunno why hollyhocks aren't very popular. Don't
recall ever seeing plants for sale at garden centres.

You can buy hollyhock rootstocks packed in peat in places like
Woolworths and Wilkinsons at this time of year [1]. You can buy plants
in pots at places like B&Q and Homebase, and the nearest garden centre
(to me) also has them. Otherwise they're sold as seed.

[1] Not that I could persuade them into growth.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Malvaceae/Malvaceae.html

Old 06-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Glen Able
writes

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Hi all,

Anyone know of any hollyhocks seed varieties that I can sow this spring
which'll flower this year? Preferably not the frilly double types, which
annoy me

thanks

Cheers all for the help. Dunno why hollyhocks aren't very popular. Don't
recall ever seeing plants for sale at garden centres.

They're truly biennial, aren't they? Flower second year and die. So all
the disadvantages - you grow them for a year and sell them in year 2 but
they're going to die so you can't make a profit. Whereas annuals you
still make a profit because you sow them and only have to grow them a
few weeks before selling them.

But hollyhocks are easy from seed and the seed is very easy to come by.
Don't most people who grow them grow them from seed?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 11-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Trevor Appleton

"Glen Able" wrote in message

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Hi all,

Anyone know of any hollyhocks seed varieties that I can sow this spring
which'll flower this year? Preferably not the frilly double types,

which
annoy me

thanks

Cheers all for the help. Dunno why hollyhocks aren't very popular. Don't
recall ever seeing plants for sale at garden centres.

I sell a few plants outside my house. Hollyhocks are a best seller, whilst
Verbena bonariensis whish is ranted and raved about in every garden prog and
mag, I have hardly ever managed to sell!

Trevor

East Yorkshire