Old 02-03-2004, 04:08 AM
Larry Stoter

Default fig tree (bit of a rant)

FF wrote:

snips ...
live, please keep pestering the police about them. It all mounts up and
eventually they get around to doing something about it. At least that's
what they keep telling me.

Liz

Rant mode on :-(

Hmm ... round here they seem to be having far too much fun flying around
in a police helicopter, which I understand costs up to £1,000 per hour
while in the air. A couple of years ago, on a late August bank holiday,
they spent nearly 15 mins hovering ~100 ft above the barbeque in our
backgarden. Given an excessively loud nearby rave the following spring,
however, that disturbed several 1,000 people's sleep and generated 100s
of complaints, the police claimed to be completely powerless.

"Our" "local" PC (never seen him) puts a lot of, I'm sure, well
intentioned work into collating minor petty crime and encourages people
to report any problems. I see a patrol car in the village perhaps once a
month and having lived in the village for ~3 years, I think I've seen a
PC on foot perhaps twice. There has been a persistent problem in the
area with several teenagers riding motorcycles across private land and
generally being a nuisance - after 2 years, the police still haven't
caught anybody.

I expect my council tax bill shortly - I would encourage everybody to
actually look at the details because last year, the actual council
increases were ~5% but the police part of the tax went up 25%!

I seriously question what I'm actually paying for. I think my village
would be a lot better policed if the all money the locals pay for police
services was spent on a private security company.

Rant mode off :-)
--
Larry Stoter