Old 06-03-2004, 04:35 AM
FF

Default Small lodger in the compost bin...

Twice this week, the husband has seen a rat in the compost bin. When I checked there
was no sign, no holes in or around the bin, the lid's on, the little slidy door's
closed.

What should I do? Turn the compost and turf ratty out? Get rid of the compost? How
did he get in there in the first place! We've never put any of the banned things in
there, just peelings and garden waste really.

Many thanks,

Liz
Old 06-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from FF contains these words:

Twice this week, the husband has seen a rat in the compost bin. When I
checked there
was no sign, no holes in or around the bin, the lid's on, the little
slidy door's
closed.

What should I do? Turn the compost and turf ratty out? Get rid of the
compost? How
did he get in there in the first place! We've never put any of the
banned things in
there, just peelings and garden waste really.

Find someone with ferrets.

Either get the owner to drop one in the bin, or if you just want to
deter Ratty, put a bag of ferret litter in there....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 06-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Stuart Baldwin

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:23:31 GMT, FF wrote:

Twice this week, the husband has seen a rat in the compost bin. When I checked there
was no sign, no holes in or around the bin, the lid's on, the little slidy door's
closed.

What should I do? Turn the compost and turf ratty out? Get rid of the compost? How
did he get in there in the first place! We've never put any of the banned things in
there, just peelings and garden waste really.

If it is only a 'he' then you'll have no problems...

(Sorry I can't be more constructive.)
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk

Old 06-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
FF wrote:
Twice this week, the husband has seen a rat in the compost bin. When I checked there
was no sign, no holes in or around the bin, the lid's on, the little slidy door's
closed.

What should I do? Turn the compost and turf ratty out? Get rid of the compost? How
did he get in there in the first place! We've never put any of the banned things in
there, just peelings and garden waste really.

All the old wive's tales about a strong association between certain
items on the heap and rats are complete hogwash. As a ratcatcher
said to me, they are attracted by the warmth, protection and worms.
I compost everything (including turkey carcases) and there is NO
correlation between when I do so and when rats invade.

Turning the heap over will often discourage them. Other than that,
you must call in a professional (or someone with ferrets). Our
Lords and Masters have now decided that we can't be trusted with
effective rodenticides, so don't waste your money and time buying
them in garden centres.

Of course, if you can set yourself up or pass yourself off as a
Suitable Person, you can buy the stuff by the hundredweight with
very little ado ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-03-2004, 06:59 PM
nambucca

"FF" wrote in message
Twice this week, the husband has seen a rat in the compost bin. When I

checked there
was no sign, no holes in or around the bin, the lid's on, the little slidy

door's
closed.

What should I do? Turn the compost and turf ratty out? Get rid of the

compost? How
did he get in there in the first place! We've never put any of the banned

things in
there, just peelings and garden waste really.

Many thanks,

Liz

Rats like undisturbed teritory and if the bin is on the ground not on paving
or bricks it will have got in from underground

Simply turn out the contents of the bin having first banged and crashed
around it to scare the lodger out

You can then resite the bin and return the contents ,,,,,,,,the compost is
perfectly safe to use although its best to wear rubber gloves just in case
of any disease risk via a cut in the skin but thats the case in most
gardening

Old 06-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Peter Crosland

All the old wive's tales about a strong association between certain
items on the heap and rats are complete hogwash. As a ratcatcher
said to me, they are attracted by the warmth, protection and worms.
I compost everything (including turkey carcases) and there is NO
correlation between when I do so and when rats invade.

Sounds more like an old ratcatcher's tale to me. Assuming we are talking of
the brown rat, ratus norvegicus, then you are rather wide of the mark.
Probably the major factor in the worldwide success of the brown rat is that
it will eat such a wide variety of foods. Although it is omnivorous
preferred foods are those that are starch-rich or high protein in particular
grain or seeds. A proven favourite is apple peel and if you can it is better
to avoid putting it on a compost heap frequented by rats. As for access to
the heap the rat will have burrowed upwards from below. It may be worth
asking the Environmental Health Department of your local council if they
provide any rodent eradication free of charge.