Old 06-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

Default Mower deck Q.

Does this NG have an FAQ? This is probably a question asked too often but
please forgive mine ;-) I do not post nor read this group but have
received muchly appreciated answers to questions in the past from other
general interest questions. I have also donated answers to questions on this
cyber format.
I have owned a few ridding garden tractors with wide swath cutting decks.
I have just purchased a new one and was wondering if there is something that
can be done to reduce or eliminate the clumping or attaching of clippings to
the cavity side of the deck? I was hoping that as the deck is brand new and
shiny a spray-on or paint-on treatment could be applied. Is there a bristle
devise that can be attached to the blades to clean while the three blades
are rotating? Blade design?
I try not to mow when the grass is wet or damp but when the grass is
actively growing there is no way around this. The mower is used for a two
acre lawn and it is quite a bummer when the blades sound like a helicopter
from a clogged deck. Thanks for any help!
Regards, Steve.

---

Old 06-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Steve & Chris Clark" contains
these words:

Does this NG have an FAQ?

http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.gardening.html
also, weekly post called abc for newcomers to urg.

I have owned a few ridding garden tractors with wide swath cutting decks.
I have just purchased a new one and was wondering if there is something that
can be done to reduce or eliminate the clumping or attaching of clippings to
the cavity side of the deck? I was hoping that as the deck is brand new and
shiny a spray-on or paint-on treatment could be applied. Is there a bristle
devise that can be attached to the blades to clean while the three blades
are rotating?

Eeek :-(((( Don't do *anything* around the blades while they are rotating.

I try not to mow when the grass is wet or damp but when the grass is
actively growing there is no way around this. The mower is used for a two
acre lawn and it is quite a bummer when the blades sound like a helicopter
from a clogged deck.

Something sounds wrong to me.I used a Countax on a larger area than
that, often damp (west Scotland) with no helicopter sound effects. When
the grass was damp, the worst that ever happened was that occasional
clumps of damp cuttings would drop off the underneath of the deck and
get missed by the sweeper/collector.

Possibilities;

the cutting height needs to be set higher
the blades aren't properly adjusted
You've bought an unsuitable American machine designed for drier cutting
conditions than the UK, and different grass types.

Whichever, I'd go back to your supplier; it must still be under guarantee.

Janet

Old 06-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Janet Baraclough

[...]

Mower deck Q. Steve & Chris Clark United Kingdom 0 06-03-2004 08:22 PM
Cleaning mower deck... Andy & Lucinda Lawns 1 10-05-2003 03:32 PM
Simplicity mower deck LB Gardening 0 03-05-2003 05:08 PM
JD LT160 mower deck problem Chad Graybill Lawns 2 30-04-2003 11:56 PM
Anyone tried the mower deck Wash Port? CNB Lawns 0 03-04-2003 01:08 PM