Old 20-03-2004, 12:45 PM
MallowKat

Default Which mock orange

I am going to buy a mock orange but I'm unsure which one to get. Can anyone
suggest one for me, please?

It will be grown on chalk, south facing - and in the south. I want a nice
smelly one which will not grow more than about 5ft.

Any suggestions?
Thankyou

Old 21-03-2004, 04:17 AM
jane

~
~It will be grown on chalk, south facing - and in the south. I want a nice
~smelly one which will not grow more than about 5ft.
~

They don't grow that fast at first, and tend to sucker a lot, so if
you want to keep one small, you just have to whack it back when it's
too big. I inherited a large one that was a bit out of control and
have since reined it in. I bought a couple of others when we got the
house.
I have in my initial planting notes:

Philadelphus x lemo Silver Shower
Quite a small variety - only 1.2m.
Philadelphus Coronarius Aureus 2.5m
Rather taller than the above with golden leaves.

After 5 years they are still only 3' tall and the coronarius has so
far had one flower on! That's on chalk. I just popped out to look, and
the coronarius is leafing up already while the other is still only
just at bud burst.

I can't say from experience if the silver shower is smelly - maybe
another year or so! But it's certainly the right height for you. I've
never met a mock orange that isn't pungent. Least not the single ones.
A site I found described it as having very abundant flowers and being
very perfumed.

I hope yours grows a bit faster than mine...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Mock Orange pixi Gardening 4 28-04-2004 06:02 AM
Which mock orange MallowKat United Kingdom 0 20-03-2004 12:39 PM
Which mock orange MallowKat United Kingdom 0 20-03-2004 12:26 PM
Philadelphus coronarius (mock orange) Gena North Carolina 4 03-06-2003 10:20 PM
Mock Orange Angela Coffey Gardening 3 11-04-2003 03:32 AM