Old 20-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Julie

Default Not enough Top-Soil

Hi All
I am making rasied beds and have plenty of manure and compost (bagged
from B&Q).
As I have been told a bed made up of all compost and manure is not a
good idea for growing veggies I am on the lookout for top-soil.
Only problem is no one near me has any.( They say it is too wetto sell
or they have none to sell)and the prospects for getting any in is late
April to May.
So I would like some ideas about what to do.
My beds are no where near ready and I want to be planting my leafy
salad veggies VERY soon. I have four 4ftx5ft raised beds ...Plus
several pots and I am going to do some growing in tyres (tires). So I
need quite a lot.
I was told one tonne equals about 10 barrow fulls.
(I've been to a few construction sites and the "top-soil" there is not
worth getting as it is too stoney or not easily accessed by me in my
car)
Thanks

Julie
N.Ireland