Old 21-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Dan Keeley

Default mushroom boxes

Hi,

I got one of those mushroom boxes, and the isntructions are confusing!

There's the compost, and the "soil" which is a odd brown stuff...

what isnt made clear, is whether the compost or the "soil" goes on top???
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dan

Old 21-03-2004, 03:15 PM
martin

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 13:53:11 -0000, "Dan Keeley"
wrote:

Hi,

I got one of those mushroom boxes, and the isntructions are confusing!

There's the compost, and the "soil" which is a odd brown stuff...

what isnt made clear, is whether the compost or the "soil" goes on top???
Any ideas?

I think this answers your question
http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/veg/mushrooms.htm

These two are for the more adventurous
http://www.potseeds.co.uk/mushrooms/growkit.htm

Shitake mushrooms grown on a toilet roll what could be more suitable
http://www.ncbe.reading.ac.uk/NCBE/M...GY/oyster.html
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 21-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Dan Keeley

I think this answers your question
http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/veg/mushrooms.htm

These two are for the more adventurous
http://www.potseeds.co.uk/mushrooms/growkit.htm

Shitake mushrooms grown on a toilet roll what could be more suitable
http://www.ncbe.reading.ac.uk/NCBE/M...GY/oyster.html
--

Ah excellent, thanks!

Dan

Old 22-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Mike Crossland

"martin" wrote in a message:
snip
Shitake mushrooms grown on a toilet roll what could be more suitable.
---

Well, well! Who would have believed that they can be grown on toilet
rolls, if I hadn't seen the photo. of them doing so, I would have thought
that April Fools' Day had come early this year.
They're great with pasta so I'll have a go. Thanks for the url.

M.C.

Old 22-03-2004, 06:59 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:45:21 -0000, "Mike Crossland"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in a message:
snip
Shitake mushrooms grown on a toilet roll what could be more suitable.
---

Well, well! Who would have believed that they can be grown on toilet
rolls, if I hadn't seen the photo. of them doing so, I would have thought
that April Fools' Day had come early this year.
They're great with pasta so I'll have a go. Thanks for the url.

They were Oyster Mushrooms.

Old 22-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Crossland" contains these
words:
"martin" wrote in a message:

snip
Shitake mushrooms grown on a toilet roll what could be more suitable.
---

Well, well! Who would have believed that they can be grown on toilet
rolls, if I hadn't seen the photo. of them doing so, I would have thought
that April Fools' Day had come early this year.
They're great with pasta so I'll have a go. Thanks for the url.

You can roll up more or less any untreated paper (so don't try Bronco or
Izal) and use that.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:45:21 -0000, "Mike Crossland"
wrote:
"martin" wrote in a message:

snip
Shitake mushrooms grown on a toilet roll what could be more suitable.
---

Well, well! Who would have believed that they can be grown on toilet
rolls, if I hadn't seen the photo. of them doing so, I would have thought
that April Fools' Day had come early this year.
They're great with pasta so I'll have a go. Thanks for the url.

They were Oyster Mushrooms.

You can grow shiitake on paper, too.

Old 23-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades"
wrote in message
The message
from "Mike Crossland"

contains these
words:
"martin" wrote in a message:

snip
Shitake mushrooms grown on a toilet roll what could be

more suitable.
---

Well, well! Who would have believed that they can be

grown on toilet
rolls, if I hadn't seen the photo. of them doing so, I

would have thought
that April Fools' Day had come early this year.
They're great with pasta so I'll have a go. Thanks for

the url.

You can roll up more or less any untreated paper (so don't

try Bronco or
Izal) and use that.

A few questions:
How long does it take from spawning to eating?
Does one have to tie string round the roll to stop it
unrolling as time goes on?
Do you have to water it?
If so, how much?
Can I keep the roll in the dark in the garage right from day
nought?
How long does a roll remain productive?

It doea seem rather like expensive mushrooms at over £9 for
10 roll's worth

Franz

Franz

Old 23-03-2004, 04:46 PM