Old 21-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Andre Boyle

Default Small retaining wall advice needed

Hi all,

We have recently moved into a new house and although the garden is
reasonable in size it is on a slope.

What we want to do is create a decked area at the house and then have two
terraced sections of the garden. Does anyone have any online guides or
advice on building retaining walls/structures to keep the soil in place.
Suggestion so far have gone from brick walls to metal/wooden posts with
wooden slats.

The retainer will only need to be about 1.5 foot tall.

Thanks for the help and advice,

Dre

Old 21-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Cicero

"Andre Boyle" wrote in message
Hi all,

We have recently moved into a new house and although the garden is
reasonable in size it is on a slope.

What we want to do is create a decked area at the house and then have two
terraced sections of the garden. Does anyone have any online guides or
advice on building retaining walls/structures to keep the soil in place.
Suggestion so far have gone from brick walls to metal/wooden posts with
wooden slats.

The retainer will only need to be about 1.5 foot tall.

Thanks for the help and advice,

Dre

===============================
Consider gravel boards and concrete posts. Posts are usually a minimum
length of 4' so if you dig deep holes and use two gravel boards (each 12"
high - one partly below ground) you will have quite a strong retaining wall.

Cic.

Old 22-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Andre
Boyle writes
Hi all,

We have recently moved into a new house and although the garden is
reasonable in size it is on a slope.

It is useful to define how much of a slope - part of my garden front
lawn is 1:3.

What we want to do is create a decked area at the house and then have two
terraced sections of the garden. Does anyone have any online guides or
advice on building retaining walls/structures to keep the soil in place.
Suggestion so far have gone from brick walls to metal/wooden posts with
wooden slats.

Remember that whatever you use you will have to look at from the low
part of the garden. So choose the materials to look reasonable and fit
in or arrange the planting to hide the wall. Natural sandstone looks
nice.

The retainer will only need to be about 1.5 foot tall.

Part of my garden retaining wall brick is 4 foot tall, 20 years old and
thinking about falling down due probably to inadequate original
foundations and a bit of help from a nearby tree. If you find any half
decent guidelines I would be interested too.

Problems with normal house grade brick walls against soil are that they
tend to get saturated with water in winter and spall in the frost.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 22-03-2004, 10:14 PM
John Rouse

In article , Andre
Boyle writes
We have recently moved into a new house and although the garden is
reasonable in size it is on a slope.

What we want to do is create a decked area at the house and then have two
terraced sections of the garden. Does anyone have any online guides or
advice on building retaining walls/structures to keep the soil in place.
Suggestion so far have gone from brick walls to metal/wooden posts with
wooden slats.

Have you had a look at www.pavingexpert.com?

The retainer will only need to be about 1.5 foot tall.

Anything over 1.2m needs building regs approval.

Thanks for the help and advice,

John
--
John Rouse

Old 23-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Andre Boyle

Thanks everyone for the help. Anything I find I will post here for others
reference.

Old 23-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Andre Boyle

Old 23-03-2004, 05:06 AM