Old 30-03-2009, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Retaining wall for RV

We bought a river camp and are parking a motorhome on it. The lot rarely
floods, but I want a little extra insurance. I am going to make a raised
pad using railroad ties. All I need is about two feet high.It would be
easiest to fill in with gravel, but I am wondering if clean fill topped by
gravel would be better. I intend to make it about 16 feet wide and park the
RV in the middle until things seem to settle enough to move toward one side.

Any thoughts?

Old 30-03-2009, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message
We bought a river camp and are parking a motorhome on it. The lot rarely
floods, but I want a little extra insurance. I am going to make a raised
pad using railroad ties. All I need is about two feet high.It would be
easiest to fill in with gravel, but I am wondering if clean fill topped by
gravel would be better. I intend to make it about 16 feet wide and park
the RV in the middle until things seem to settle enough to move toward one
side.

Any thoughts?

Do not leave an RV anywhere on that lot that has flooded previously, not
even if you raise your pad 50 feet into the air and place your RV on top.
Enjoy your lot but when you leave take your RV with you... if the river
begins to rise while you're there get out of there fast.

Old 30-03-2009, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message
We bought a river camp and are parking a motorhome on it. The lot rarely
floods, but I want a little extra insurance. I am going to make a raised
pad using railroad ties. All I need is about two feet high.It would be
easiest to fill in with gravel, but I am wondering if clean fill topped
by gravel would be better. I intend to make it about 16 feet wide and
park the RV in the middle until things seem to settle enough to move
toward one side.

Any thoughts?

Do not leave an RV anywhere on that lot that has flooded previously, not
even if you raise your pad 50 feet into the air and place your RV on top.
Enjoy your lot but when you leave take your RV with you... if the river
begins to rise while you're there get out of there fast.

I will have three positions for the RV, one by the riverside when there is
no threat of flooding, one where it has only flooded three times in 20 years
( this is where I intend to raise the pad) and one where the river has never
flooded in modern times. We only live 35 minutes away and the neighbors
call around when things get dicy.

Old 30-03-2009, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

[...]

A phone call from your neighbor is way too late when you and your family are
asleep in that RV... in the middle of the night your neighbor will be
asleep too, your neighbor won't know anything until light of day when it's
noticed the river is raging over its banks and your RV is no longer there...
and if you and your family were alseep in it you're very likely all dead.
Flood plains tend to get "dicey" very rapidly and when least expected... You
don't mention your location or describe the lay of your land but flash
floods are often very common, especially with relatively small waterways,
one minute a river bed can be bone dry and in the time it takes to suck down
one beer it's a raging torrent... personally I wouldn't sleep the night in
an RV set in a flood plain regardless how rarely you believe flooding
occurs. Don't you see what's happening with the Red River... you wouldn't
have posted asking for recommendations were you not concerned... it's your
RV and it's your life. If you already have all the answers and apparently
your mind is made up why pray tell did you ask for other's thoughts... you
really ought to get the thoughts of your insurance company, it's pretty
certain you won't be covered for any damage stemming from placing your RC in
a flood plain, not even damage to others. Don't you realize that even if
you're not there, when your RV goes barreling down stream and harms others
and/or their property you would be personally liable, even if you're killed
your estate would be liable. That you asked for thoughts on a newsgroup
will be no defense.

Old 31-03-2009, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

[...]

What do you do for fun?

Old 31-03-2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan Listermann" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

What do you do for fun?

He seems to tend towards Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personas.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's
known prison population.