Old 23-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Conifers

"David Hill" wrote
in message ...
I'd also forget conifers, what about laurel, its back in

favour, fast,
evergreen and can be cut back to 2 or 3 ft if you decide

you don't like your
8ft hedge and will not suffer in any way.

I endorse that.
Laurel is eminently controllable, even after a period of
neglect. As a bonus, it offers excellent shelter for birds.

Also golden or silver privet can give a good hedge as can

other of the large
leafed members of the family.

Franz

Old 23-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Chris S

"Rod" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:19:37 GMT, "Chris S"
wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Chris S" wrote in message
Hi,

Can you recommend the names of some conifers to produce
shielding in a back
garden.
Want them between 5 to 11 foot and to be quick growing.

If you want them to grow quickly to 11 feet, then they will
reach 111 feet quickly.

Sort of worked that out.

And you still insist you want to plant these things?

Yes, I want to plant these things, ok with you?

How big *is* your
garden?

How big is big?

How far from neighbours?

How far is far?

I asked a question, I didn't expect some inquisition.
Sorry for asking a gardening question in a gardening ng.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Old 23-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Chris S

"David Hill" wrote in message
I'd also forget conifers, what about laurel, its back in favour, fast,
evergreen and can be cut back to 2 or 3 ft if you decide you don't like

your
8ft hedge and will not suffer in any way.
Also golden or silver privet can give a good hedge as can other of the

large
leafed members of the family.

Thanx for your reply.

Old 24-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Sacha

Chris S23/3/04 6:20

"Chris S" wrote in message
Hi,

Can you recommend the names of some conifers to produce
shielding in a back
garden.
Want them between 5 to 11 foot and to be quick growing.

If you want them to grow quickly to 11 feet, then they will
reach 111 feet quickly.

Sort of worked that out.

And you still insist you want to plant these things?

Yes, I want to plant these things, ok with you?

How big *is* your
garden?

How big is big?

How far from neighbours?

How far is far?

I asked a question, I didn't expect some inquisition.
Sorry for asking a gardening question in a gardening ng.

Oh dear. One thing about newsgroups - anything written goes into archives
others can access. So the information given to you will, in 5 or 12 or 18
years time, be (potentially) available to others. This group is not your
personal, cheap, no-cost information forum though you seem to be trying to
treat us as such.

You're lucky, if only you realised it. Most people here are responsible and
experienced gardeners/nurserymen/designers/professionals. That's why you
were asked the questions (by a professional BTW, whose advice you *could*
have had for free) - mostly for your sake and that of your neighbours' but
partly because all the answers hang around for a lonnnnnnnnng and
undetermined time, as can the consequences of your planting.
Or do you *want* to plant conifers you'll be faced with trimming twice
yearly or letting go to forest tree height in a garden 40 feet square and 3'
from a neighbour's boundary?

Actually you didn't ask a gardening question.
You asked a 'quick fix' question which for most people who garden, is not
gardening. What you were asked was in your own interests. Pity you didn't
see that.
Do as you will - and bugger off.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 24-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Spider

Hi Chris,
You may wish to consider Yew (Taxus baccata). It is faster growing than
most people realise. It is *the* classic evergreen hedge. It is very
forgiving if badly pruned, unlike most conifers which remain bare and brown
if cut back too hard.
Spider
Chris S wrote in message
Hi,

Can you recommend the names of some conifers to produce shielding in a

back
garden.
Want them between 5 to 11 foot and to be quick growing.

Thanx

Old 24-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Chris S

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Chris S23/3/04 6:20

"Chris S" wrote in message
Hi,

Can you recommend the names of some conifers to produce
shielding in a back
garden.
Want them between 5 to 11 foot and to be quick growing.

If you want them to grow quickly to 11 feet, then they will
reach 111 feet quickly.

Sort of worked that out.

And you still insist you want to plant these things?

Yes, I want to plant these things, ok with you?

How big *is* your
garden?

How big is big?

How far from neighbours?

How far is far?

I asked a question, I didn't expect some inquisition.
Sorry for asking a gardening question in a gardening ng.

Oh dear. One thing about newsgroups - anything written goes into archives
others can access.

That is because it is Usenet.
State the obvious, why post something if it is know it won't be seen by
anyone else.
lol

So the information given to you will, in 5 or 12 or 18
years time, be (potentially) available to others.

Google and other Usenet archives are lucky if they are able to access
anything which is older than a few years.
get informed.

This group is not your
personal, cheap, no-cost information forum though you seem to be trying to
treat us as such.

I take it this is your view on what Usenet is.

You're lucky, if only you realised it. Most people here are responsible

and
experienced gardeners/nurserymen/designers/professionals. That's why you
were asked the questions (by a professional BTW, whose advice you *could*
have had for free)

Look, get off whatever box your on.
I asked a question, got rather a stupid reply which prompted one of my own.
They didn't say they were professional, it was rather an arrogant reply
which any professional would not do.
The posts which have been constructive have had polite responses.

Actually you didn't ask a gardening question.

Oh, conifers are what exactly?

You asked a 'quick fix' question which for most people who garden, is not
gardening.

In your opinion.

What you were asked was in your own interests.

What I asked was a fair question, in my interests, as all questions usually
are.

Pity you didn't
see that.
Do as you will - and bugger off.

Why, if you don't like what I say you bugger off.
Is it not allowed to ask things which don't fit with some individuals view
of how things should be?

Old 24-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Chris S

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Chris S23/3/04 6:20

Old 24-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Chris S

"Spider" wrote in message
Hi Chris,
You may wish to consider Yew (Taxus baccata). It is faster growing than
most people realise. It is *the* classic evergreen hedge. It is very
forgiving if badly pruned, unlike most conifers which remain bare and

brown
if cut back too hard.

Thanx for the reply.

Spider

brown conifers PMAC1727 United Kingdom 2 02-07-2003 12:08 PM
Conifers. Help What can I plant round them? Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:08 PM
Young Leylandii and Lawson conifers, prune and manage David C United Kingdom 3 17-04-2003 10:32 PM
[IBC] conifers seed sowing guidelines Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 06:44 PM
Say goodbye to San Bernardino Mtn. conifers Joe and Julie alt.forestry 4 17-01-2003 08:53 PM