Old 22-03-2004, 08:40 PM
martin

Default Purple potatoes

My wife has planted potatoes that are purple inside. She tried cooking
some this evening, they lost their purple colour when cooked. Whoops!
Old 22-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
My wife has planted potatoes that are purple inside. She

tried cooking
some this evening, they lost their purple colour when

cooked. Whoops!

Hello! Are you still alive?

Franz

Old 23-03-2004, 12:20 AM
pronoun

Anyone know where he lived?

Howard

Old 23-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

My wife has planted potatoes that are purple inside. She tried cooking
some this evening, they lost their purple colour when cooked. Whoops!

Lucky you - the deep purple (not Deep Purple) potatoes grown in the
Hebrides are called 'bontata dubh' - black potatoes - and the purple
within turns grey on cooking.

Looks ghastly, but the flavour is divine.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 23-03-2004, 12:21 AM
pronoun

Anyone know where he lived?

Howard

Old 23-03-2004, 09:33 AM
martin

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:21:51 -0000, "pronoun"
wrote:

Anyone know where he lived?

me
Old 23-03-2004, 09:33 AM
martin

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:21:51 -0000, "pronoun"
wrote:

Anyone know where he lived?

me
Old 24-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Bella

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:

My wife has planted potatoes that are purple inside. She tried cooking
some this evening, they lost their purple colour when cooked. Whoops!

Add a little white vinegar to the water when you're cooking them... a small
amount (teaspoon?) shouldn't affect the taste noticably, but ought to be
enough to preserve the colour. (at least make it appear less grey)
I love using them... took me ages to convince my aunts that I did NOT add
blue food colouring to the mash potatoes last thanksgiving
I'll try growing them this year (BF's mother was our usual supply, but they
live so far away...)

Old 24-03-2004, 05:38 PM
martin

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 00:50:43 -0600, "Bella" wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:

My wife has planted potatoes that are purple inside. She tried cooking
some this evening, they lost their purple colour when cooked. Whoops!

Add a little white vinegar to the water when you're cooking them... a small
amount (teaspoon?) shouldn't affect the taste noticably, but ought to be
enough to preserve the colour. (at least make it appear less grey)
I love using them... took me ages to convince my aunts that I did NOT add
blue food colouring to the mash potatoes last thanksgiving
I'll try growing them this year (BF's mother was our usual supply, but they
live so far away...)

I guessed that the purple is caused by iodine reacting with starch.

Crocus Barr's Purple ramyad Gardening 0 04-04-2009 04:10 AM
Purple flower 3 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:01 AM
Purple flower 2 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:00 AM
Purple flower 1 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:00 AM
Purple pansy Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 12:46 AM