Old 24-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Martin

Default jasmine for mother's day - help!!!

Victoria Clare wrote:
"Martin" wrote in
:

This is a serious question, not a "Dig." I noticed that the previous
owners of our current house had removed a couple of plants before
heading off. Something we would never have dreamed of doing. Is this
common practise in England?

That question's down to my poor typing - sorry. We moved INTO this
house, where there was already a big jasmine (when we moved in)

Many creepy things lived in the big jasmine and walked up the walls
to the bathroom window, where they peered in at my husband, who is an
arachnaphobe.

Lol - Me too! I'm not sure my wife would have been quite as accommodating as
you!

Regards

Martin

---

Old 24-03-2004, 05:51 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
snip
This is a serious question, not a "Dig." I noticed that the previous

owners
of our current house had removed a couple of plants before heading off.
Something we would never have dreamed of doing. Is this common practise

in
England?

Dedicated (and casual) gardeners like to take stuff with them.
We brought a few things to Suffolk from Derbyshire - couple of grape

vines,
some rhubarb, a fuscia which was a cutting from another place, some
Geraniums which were originally from my Mum's garden.
Nothing major, just plants with a sentimental attachment.
Listed in the details accompanying the sale, ISTR.

I suspect that some unscrupulous people buy in shrubs to dress the garden
(you see the makeover programmes spending hundreds if not thousands of
pounds on mature plants) then take them with them when they move.

IANAL but AFAIK you should list them, but I don't know how practical it is
to sue the vendor for £500 worth of missing shrubbery.

Strangely enough, this was mentioned in the 'Property Chain' program last
night.
They said that some people even roll up the turf and take the patio flags.

I suppose this is akin to people taking all the light bulbs and light
fittings from inside the house:-)

Old 24-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Martin" contains these words:

This is a serious question, not a "Dig." I noticed that the previous owners
of our current house had removed a couple of plants before heading off.
Something we would never have dreamed of doing. Is this common practise in
England?

Yes, and in Scotland. The vendor should have notified the buyer of his
intentions before the sale was agreed, though.

Janet

Old 25-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Tumbleweed

"Martin" wrote in message
Victoria Clare wrote:
klara King wrote in
:

My three lovely daughters have given me a beautiful, healthy
flowering jasmine for Mother's Day. But we have no conservatory, or
even a greenhouse ((

The consensus of opinion on URG a few years back seemed to be that
jasmines need lots of light and hate central heating. I would not
have bought one myself, but I would so hate to disappoint the girls
and have it expire! Might it survive until, say, May, by which time
it ought to be able to go outside?

Do you have a south-facing sheltered wall? If so, it should survive
outside there if planted out later this year unless it gets really
specially cold. I took one off the wall of this house when we moved
it: it was a massive thing and really took some moving!

Victoria,

This is a serious question, not a "Dig." I noticed that the previous

owners
of our current house had removed a couple of plants before heading off.
Something we would never have dreamed of doing. Is this common practise in
England?

Not especially, possibly they may have been of sentimental value, or maybe
very expensive and recently planted. There ahve been horror stories about
people even taking the lawn (not sure if thats apocryphal I've heard it so
often!)What you can and cant take is a grey area, IIRC the last time I moved
house we were asked what if anything we would be removing from the garden.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 25-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Tumbleweed

"Martin" wrote in message
Victoria Clare wrote:
klara King wrote in
:

Old 25-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Tumbleweed

"Martin" wrote in message
Victoria Clare wrote:
klara King wrote in
:

Old 25-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Tumbleweed

"Martin" wrote in message
Victoria Clare wrote:
klara King wrote in
:

Happy Mother's Day Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 3 10-05-2004 10:09 AM
jasmine for mother's day - help!!! klara King United Kingdom 1 23-03-2004 04:46 PM
jasmine for mother's day - help!!! klara King United Kingdom 1 23-03-2004 03:59 PM
A very special Mother's Day offering from Greenwood Nursery Earl Buchan Gardening 0 01-05-2003 07:20 PM
Create a Masterpiece for Mother's Day.....It's easy Lebsique Texas 1 01-05-2003 04:20 PM