Old 23-03-2004, 04:46 PM
papa

Default Bluebells

Brain is dead today and cannot remember...

Whats the botanical name for the common British bluebell? And anyone
does the spanish bluebell have a different name?

Many thanks

P.

Old 23-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Bob Hobden

P wrote in message
Whats the botanical name for the common British bluebell? And anyone
does the spanish bluebell have a different name?

British... Hyacinthoides non-scripta (syn Scilla non-scripta)
Spanish.... H. hispanica (syn Scilla campanulata)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 24-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Sacha
writes
papa23/3/04 2:38
$880$

Brain is dead today and cannot remember...

Whats the botanical name for the common British bluebell? And anyone
does the spanish bluebell have a different name?

Hyacinthoides hispanica is the Spanish bluebell. This slightly surprised me
when I checked my own memory with the RHS encyclopedia because they're also
grouped under Scillas, which is what I usually think of. And to confuse me
further, they belong to the lily family. ;-)

Under the new classifications they're in Hyacinthaceae (hyacinths,
squills and allies); the old Liliaceae is now spread across two orders
(Liliales and Asparagales).

The common bluebell is Hyacinthoides non-scripta. Both species are
sometimes placed in Endymion or Scilla.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Sacha
writes
papa23/3/04 2:38
$880$

Old 24-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Sacha
writes
papa23/3/04 2:38
$880$

Old 24-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Sacha
writes
papa23/3/04 2:38
$880$

Old 24-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Sacha
writes
papa23/3/04 2:38
$880$

Brain is dead today and cannot remember...

Whats the botanical name for the common British bluebell? And anyone
does the spanish bluebell have a different name?

Hyacinthoides hispanica is the Spanish bluebell. This slightly surprised me
when I checked my own memory with the RHS encyclopedia because they're also
grouped under Scillas, which is what I usually think of. And to confuse me
further, they belong to the lily family. ;-)

Under the new classifications they're in Hyacinthaceae (hyacinths,
squills and allies); the old Liliaceae is now spread across two orders
(Liliales and Asparagales).

The common bluebell is Hyacinthoides non-scripta. Both species are
sometimes placed in Endymion or Scilla.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Bluebells Plant Thieves Tarzan United Kingdom 5 11-04-2005 09:37 PM
English bluebells jane United Kingdom 24 09-05-2003 01:08 AM
Spanish bluebells Brian Mitchell United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 02:20 AM
Bluebells on the lawn Fred United Kingdom 2 14-04-2003 07:08 PM
Spanish Bluebells Todd J. Gardening 6 28-03-2003 07:32 PM