Old 24-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Campbell Thompson

Default Ride-on Accessories

Last year I bought a John Deere L107 which has made the job of cutting
¾ of an acre far easier and far more fun. I haven't let the wife in to
the secret and make out as though it's still a bit of a chore; far
from it!!

I would like to start using the mower for more than just cutting the
lawn, for example, I would like to get a spreader, a roller and maybe
something to de-thatch in the autumn, but having looked around, it
seems that all of these things are at least 350 quid, which seems a
lot for something that I will use once a year and will spend the rest
of the year gathering dust in the garage. Does anyone know if there is
a used or hire market for these things? I have looked on ebay and
can't see anything relevant.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 24-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Emery Davis

On 24 Mar 2004 01:05:17 -0800, (Campbe=
ll Thompson) said:

] Last year I bought a John Deere L107 which has made the job of cutting
] =BE of an acre far easier and far more fun. I haven't let the wife in to
] the secret and make out as though it's still a bit of a chore; far
] from it!!
]=20
] I would like to start using the mower for more than just cutting the
] lawn, for example, I would like to get a spreader, a roller and maybe
] something to de-thatch in the autumn, but having looked around, it
] seems that all of these things are at least 350 quid, which seems a
] lot for something that I will use once a year and will spend the rest
] of the year gathering dust in the garage. Does anyone know if there is
] a used or hire market for these things? I have looked on ebay and
] can't see anything relevant.
]=20
] Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Campbell,

Great question. I'm in exactly the same boat with a Countax I bought last
year. I do have a de-thatcher (that I've had for years) but it doesn't rea=
lly
do a proper job scarifying; but the price on the countax power scarifyer is
pretty off putting. (Also, I wonder if I'd break the blades on the frequent
subsurface rocks, but that's another issue). I rent a spreader from the
agri coop twice a year for 20 =A4, so far that's the best I've come up with.
So perhaps you can hire a spreader that way; but I'd love to find a used
one somewhere...

-E
--=20
Emery Davis
You can reply to

by removing the well known companies
Old 26-03-2004, 02:56 PM
David

Emery Davis wrote in message
Great question. I'm in exactly the same boat with a Countax I bought last
year. I do have a de-thatcher (that I've had for years) but it doesn't rea
lly
do a proper job scarifying; but the price on the countax power scarifyer is
pretty off putting. (Also, I wonder if I'd break the blades on the frequent
subsurface rocks, but that's another issue). I rent a spreader from the
agri coop twice a year for 20 , so far that's the best I've come up with.
So perhaps you can hire a spreader that way; but I'd love to find a used
one somewhere...

Emery,
I've used the countax power scarifier. It does a very good job of
removing thatch and moss. You wont break the blades on subsurface
rocks because you set the blade height to not go into the soil, just
to the bottom of the grass. If the blades are cutting soil you are too
deep.