Old 27-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Climbers

"~Barbra~" wrote in message
I love climbing plants, such as Clematis, Honeysuckle etc., but my 2 year
old Jack Russell likes chewing the barks and they die. Actually she does

it
to everything apart from plants I have in containers, so is it OK to plant
climbers in containers ?

Barbra

The short answer is yes :~) it does however depend on which climbers, how
big the pots are and how often you will be able to repot.
However given your reason for wanting to do it the best solution may be to
simply remove most of the bottom of the pot so that the climbers can root
into the ground under, it will save a lot of hassle and watering problems
later.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"David Hill" wrote
in message ...
"........ but my 2 year old Jack Russell likes chewing the

barks and they
die. .........."

You don't get this sort of problem with a cat.........

Oh yes? Come and have a look at what the neighbours' cats
have done to the stem of my .Metasequoia glyptostroboides.

Are you quite sure? The trunk of mg is naturally deeply fissured,
rough and fibrous, looking very much as if something has been
sharpening claws there.

Janet.

Old 27-03-2004, 08:15 PM
martin

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:27:36 GMT, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"David Hill" wrote
in message ...
"........ but my 2 year old Jack Russell likes chewing the

barks and they
die. .........."

You don't get this sort of problem with a cat.........

Oh yes? Come and have a look at what the neighbours' cats
have done to the stem of my .Metasequoia glyptostroboides.

Are you quite sure? The trunk of mg is naturally deeply fissured,
rough and fibrous, looking very much as if something has been
sharpening claws there.

Franz puts away laser guided water pistol and catapult and apologises
to pussy lovers everywhere? :-))

Old 27-03-2004, 08:16 PM
martin

wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"David Hill" wrote
in message ...
"........ but my 2 year old Jack Russell likes chewing the

barks and they
die. .........."

You don't get this sort of problem with a cat.........

Oh yes? Come and have a look at what the neighbours' cats
have done to the stem of my .Metasequoia glyptostroboides.

Are you quite sure? The trunk of mg is naturally deeply fissured,
rough and fibrous, looking very much as if something has been
sharpening claws there.

For example
http://www.sfasu.edu/ag/arboretum/pl...etasequoia.jpg

Old 27-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Mike

looking very much as if something has been
sharpening claws there.

In the case of the top of my fence panels, it WAS cats sharpening their
claws :-((

*Your postings are a little more gentle these days Barraclough, taken what
has been said in the past about your abruptness I see :-)) Nice one. Keep it
up*

climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Climbers Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 2 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Climbers on Fence Jack United Kingdom 5 09-02-2003 02:37 PM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM
child friendly climbers ellio United Kingdom 8 22-11-2002 06:11 PM