Old 08-02-2003, 07:28 PM
Jack

Default Climbers on Fence

On a 6x fence, how many clematis would you plant to cover the fence
completely? The clematis are, for example, Nelly Moser, Jackmanii, and
Vyvyan Pennell.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2003, 12:47 AM
Jack

Good point about the pruning requirements - I hadn't thought about that.

Each individual fence panel is 6 feet high and 6 feet wide. I'm wondering
how many climbers to plant next to each section of 6 foot wide panel (there
are 7 panels in total). I suppose if I put clematis with the same pruning
requirements next to each other that would solve the pruning dilemma,
though.

Thanks.

"sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
in article , Jack at
wrote on 8/2/03 7:28 pm:

On a 6x fence, how many clematis would you plant to cover the fence
completely? The clematis are, for example, Nelly Moser, Jackmanii, and
Vyvyan Pennell.

Thanks

6' High or wide? You also need to take into consideration the pruning
requirements of each Clematis you want to plant, because once they've all
grown into each other and tangled up, you can't tidy them up individually.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-02-2003, 12:32 PM
david

You must remember that your clematis are not going to "Cover"
the fence, only the upper part, if you want to hide the whole thing you will
have to think of something Shrubby that will thicken out from ground level.
--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 09-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Mary Fisher

"david" wrote in message
You must remember that your clematis are not going to "Cover"
the fence, only the upper part, if you want to hide the whole thing you

will
have to think of something Shrubby that will thicken out from ground

level.

We planted a new, mixed, deciduous hedge last year. Because the plants were
fairly small and will take time to reach the 2m high top I sowed Canary
Creeper as a temporary and pretty screen.

It was lovely and I suspect it will have self seeded.

I'm thinking of sweet peas this year ...

Mary
--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Hardy climbers/chuck over fence and hope esthomizzy United Kingdom 15 28-11-2004 03:48 PM
Climbers for a North-South facing solid fence Dwayne United Kingdom 1 16-08-2004 01:23 PM
Climbers for a fence Serena Blanchflower United Kingdom 4 19-04-2003 06:45 PM
climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM