Old 28-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Ophelia

Default Better to shoot cats...

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
Air Force pilots kept their own eyes as far as it was possible, and
cats' eyes were relegated to guiding benighted motorists.

Catseyes were invented by Percy Shaw. He was a clever man who invented

them
after he was walking home one night and his torch light was reflected by a
cat's eyes.

If the cat had been facing the other way he would probably invented the
pencil sharpener.

LOL

Old 28-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Mike

Air force pilot had cats eyes during 2nd. world war

Air Force Pilots eat carrots in WWII so they could see in the dark ;-}

Old 28-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

Air force pilot had cats eyes during 2nd. world war

Air Force Pilots eat carrots in WWII so they could see in the dark ;-}

Confusing tenses ...

Old 28-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Mike

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike" wrote in message

Air force pilot had cats eyes during 2nd. world war

Air Force Pilots eat carrots in WWII so they could see in the dark ;-}

Confusing tenses ...

sorry:-(

Royal Air Force pilots ate carrots in WWII so they could see in the dark..

Never was no good at English, I blame the schools, they never learnt me
proper ;-}

Old 28-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

Air force pilot had cats eyes during 2nd. world war

Air Force Pilots eat carrots in WWII so they could see in the dark ;-}

Confusing tenses ...

sorry:-(

Royal Air Force pilots ate carrots in WWII so they could see in the

dark..

Never was no good at English, I blame the schools, they never learnt me
proper ;-}

You're old enough to be responsible for your own actions and not put the
blame on others.

Old 28-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Kattle5lutZ

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:12:47 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

Air force pilot had cats eyes during 2nd. world war

Air Force Pilots eat carrots in WWII so they could see in the dark ;-}

Confusing tenses ...

Who gives a shit, except a troll?

Old 28-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Mike

Never was no good at English, I blame the schools, they never learnt me
proper ;-}

You're old enough to be responsible for your own actions and not put the
blame on others.

I wasn't brung up proper like what you was. Alright for you posh people what
had the crusts cut of yer sandwiches. We had doorsteps with a bit of cheese.
Bet you had a bed to yerself :-((

Old 28-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Rhiannon S

Subject: Better to shoot cats...
From: "Mike"
Date: 28/03/2004 10:38 GMT Daylight Time

Air force pilot had cats eyes during 2nd. world war

Air Force Pilots eat carrots in WWII so they could see in the dark ;-}

And oysters so there was something to look at...?

--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Old 28-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

Never was no good at English, I blame the schools, they never learnt

me
proper ;-}

You're old enough to be responsible for your own actions and not put the
blame on others.

I wasn't brung up proper like what you was.

That's obvious ...

Alright for you posh people what
had the crusts cut of yer sandwiches.

Sanwiches?

We had doorsteps with a bit of cheese.

We scrubbed doorsteps.

Cheese?

Bet you had a bed to yerself :-((

No ...

.... still don't.

Mary

Old 28-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

Royal Air Force pilots ate carrots in WWII so they could see in the

dark..

Still not right:

Royal Air Force pilots are supposed to have eaten carrots in World
War II because they were told that it would help them see in the
dark.

I know of no evidence that they took any notice of the government
propaganda, which is based on a scientific fallacy, anyway. A shortage
of vitamin A (derived from the beta carotene in carrots) will cause
night blindness, but an excess will not improve night vision, and a
persistent, serious excess will damage your liver and kill you.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Royal Air Force pilots ate carrots in WWII so they could see in the

dark..

Still not right:

Hurrah! I hoped someone with authority would counter that!

Royal Air Force pilots are supposed to have eaten carrots in World
War II because they were told that it would help them see in the
dark.

I know of no evidence that they took any notice of the government
propaganda,

Does anyone?

which is based on a scientific fallacy, anyway. A shortage
of vitamin A (derived from the beta carotene in carrots) will cause
night blindness,

I suspect that it's VERY difficult to be as short as that.

but an excess will not improve night vision, and a
persistent, serious excess will damage your liver and kill you.

I promise to keep off it. The alcohol's enough ...

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Mike

Royal Air Force pilots ate carrots in WWII so they could see in the

dark..

Still not right:

Royal Air Force pilots are supposed to have eaten carrots in World
War II because they were told that it would help them see in the
dark.

I know of no evidence that they took any notice of the government
propaganda, which is based on a scientific fallacy, anyway. A shortage
of vitamin A (derived from the beta carotene in carrots) will cause
night blindness, but an excess will not improve night vision, and a
persistent, serious excess will damage your liver and kill you.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

When the RAF had Radar installed on their planes in WWII to enable more
accurate bombing, the 'world' was told that it was the fact that they ate
carrots which 'enabled them to see in the dark'. This was broadcast and the
'public' were led to believe this.

There is, or rather there have, been reports on whether carrots 'do' in fact
help and I think it can be accepted in the broad sense of the word that no,
they do not help. A little maybe, but not to the extent put out during war
to cover up the Radar the RAF had and were using.