Old 02-04-2004, 04:16 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Brown Leylandii

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades"

wrote in message
The message
from "andrewpreece"

contains these words:

Getting the triple stump out will be a killer, it's

at least 16" across
at the base.

*DON'T* cut it down. Dig round it and cut as many of the

roots as you
can find, then (with a rope from near the top if you

can) using the
height of the tree as a lever, work it about, and where

the earth moves
will be more roots to cut. Many of them will cut with a

decent sharp
spade, but you may need a mattock or a trowel and

bowsaw.

When enough roots are severed, pull the whole tree over.

It's so much
easier than cutting it down and then digging the stump

out.

Alas it isn't really possible to dig around it and lever

it out: the rear of
the tree
has a low curved stone wall not 18" from it, and the front

has a wooden
palisade
retaining a raised bed in which the tree sits, at a

distance of only 30".

My only option, as another post states, is to drill the

stump and try and
dissolve it
or make it a feature. Anyway, the top 15 foot is down now,

leaving a 9' high
trunk,
5" across at the top. It looks a bit odd: I've concluded I

need to put
something on
the top to cap it off. My thoughts a-

Weathervane
Hanging basket ( could water it with a hose )
Gilded finial of some sort ( bit pretentious )
Dovecot ( even more pretentious, and I don't keep doves )

Still, interesting thinking about the possibilities!

Glue some of the branches back and grow a russian vine up
it.

Franz