Old 28-03-2004, 12:36 AM
andrewpreece

Default Brown Leylandii

I have an inherited Leylandii planted near my house, about 30 feet tall.
Last year following the dry weather and my modification of water run-off
from the road, it went brown. Ever since it has been littering the path
below
with dead needles, but still retains lots of brown foliage. A couple of
small
patches of needles near the start of the leaves are green, so I assume the
tree is alive, but will it grow new needles this year? I know Leylandii
cannot
regenerate new growth from old branches if they are cut back, and am
wondering if I will be left will a bald tree!
I ask because I am toying with the idea of felling it and planting
something nicer, and if it's had it that will ease my decision.

cheers

Andy

Old 28-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Franz Heymann

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
I have an inherited Leylandii planted near my house, about

30 feet tall.
Last year following the dry weather and my modification of

water run-off
from the road, it went brown. Ever since it has been

littering the path
below
with dead needles,

Leylandii? Needles?

[snip]

Franz

Old 28-03-2004, 04:54 PM
nambucca

[...]

Do yourself an immense favour and get rid of the Leylandii and plant
something nicer

Old 28-03-2004, 07:10 PM
andrewpreece

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

Leylandii? Needles?

[snip]

Franz

Well, I dunno what to call them, they're not really leaves either, sort of
flattened segmented branching sprays. Anyway, whatever you call them,
it's a Leylandii, I've got a whole hedge of it too so it's not a case of
mistaken identity. That's it then, it's coming down!

cheers,

Andy

PS; Getting the triple stump out will be a killer, it's at least 16" across
at the base.

Old 28-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote

in message

"andrewpreece" wrote in

message

Leylandii? Needles?

[snip]

Franz

Well, I dunno what to call them, they're not really leaves

either, sort of
flattened segmented branching sprays.

Yes. You are now talking about cypress leaves.

Anyway, whatever you call them,
it's a Leylandii, I've got a whole hedge of it too so it's

not a case of
mistaken identity. That's it then, it's coming down!

cheers,

Andy

PS; Getting the triple stump out will be a killer, it's at

least 16" across
at the base.

At that size, it might be worth while if you can find a tree
surgeon to come and demolish the stump in situ with a root
grinder.

Or better still, why do you not prune the dead tree to a
sensible shape and use it as a support for growing a
climber?
Rose, clematis, Russian vine....

Franz

Old 29-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"andrewpreece" wrote in message

I have an inherited Leylandii planted near my house, about

30 feet tall.
Last year following the dry weather and my modification of

water run-off
from the road, it went brown. Ever since it has been

littering the path
below
with dead needles,

Leylandii? Needles?

Shhhh! It's got a - um - 'habit'.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-03-2004, 01:30 AM
andrewpreece

[...]

That's on the list of possibilities: last year, half in anticipation
I planted a Zepherine Drouhin climbing rose, a Jackmanii Superba
clematis and a Lonicera Henryi at the base. I'd prefer a clean
slate but discretion is the better part of valour, so maybe I'd
best make the trunk into a 'feature'!.

ndy