Old 02-04-2004, 04:17 AM
John Bradbury

Default Ornamental grasses

I am just starting my first spring in a new garden and, I regret, I am
not a very experienced gardener but am trying my best.

I hope that you do not mind me asking the experts!

I have a clump of ornamental grass which, at the moment is just the dead
spikes from last year. I cannot see anything new growing up.

The grass is about 50cm high with "wheat like" heads. Blades are round
and rush like -about 3mm diameter.

What should I do? Should I cut back lightly, heavily or burn it off?

Thanks in advance
--
John Bradbury
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old 02-04-2004, 04:19 AM
JennyC

"John Bradbury" wrote in message
I am just starting my first spring in a new garden and, I regret, I am
not a very experienced gardener but am trying my best.

I hope that you do not mind me asking the experts!

I have a clump of ornamental grass which, at the moment is just the dead
spikes from last year. I cannot see anything new growing up.

The grass is about 50cm high with "wheat like" heads. Blades are round
and rush like -about 3mm diameter.

What should I do? Should I cut back lightly, heavily or burn it off?

Thanks in advance
John Bradbury

Depends a bit on which type it is but in general one can usually trim away the
old growth. You may find new shoots right down among the base of the plant.

http://www.hostas.com might help you to identify your grass. the site has loads
of pictures"~)
Jenny