Old 02-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Gen

Default Division of ornamental grasses

I have a failrly large pot of Lomandra Confertifolia and was wondering
how and when to divide it ?
Any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Wallaby

I also have this growing but in the ground. When in the ground it appears
to send out side shoots if you pull apart the foliage. I seem to grow this
quite easy by pulling these apart and potting into 6" tubes. When? I try
any time, but then I'm not ripping the plant apart as you might as its in a
pot. Try taking from the edges. Great plants Lomandra. Saw a new one at
Mount Annan Bot garden; it looks like a grass tree without the trunk. Rare
it comes from the Sydney region around the Nth or Sth head region.
Cheers Peter

om...

Old 04-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Gen

Peter,
I was planing to cheat a bit and get "two for one" before I planted it
in the ground!!

"Wallaby" wrote in message ...
I also have this growing but in the ground. When in the ground it appears
to send out side shoots if you pull apart the foliage. I seem to grow this
quite easy by pulling these apart and potting into 6" tubes. When? I try
any time, but then I'm not ripping the plant apart as you might as its in a
pot. Try taking from the edges. Great plants Lomandra. Saw a new one at
Mount Annan Bot garden; it looks like a grass tree without the trunk. Rare
it comes from the Sydney region around the Nth or Sth head region.
Cheers Peter

om...

Old 04-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Andrew G

"Gen" wrote in message
om...
I have a failrly large pot of Lomandra Confertifolia and was wondering
how and when to divide it ?
Any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Gen

We have divided them at work and they did survive, but I thought I would
double check.
Book states to Divide them in Spring. Other ways pof propagation is sow
seeds at 15-18degs celsius when the seeds are ripe.
Following not in book now :-)
Dividing them can be as harsh as shoving a spade through the middle to cut
in half, or breaking bits off, as long as you get roots on the "cutting".
I'm not sure when we did it at work, but I wouldn't suggest doing it now
heading into winter that's for sure.
Leave it in the pot 'till Spring.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Ornamental grasses add year-long garden pleasure earl Gardening 6 18-08-2004 04:53 PM
Ornamental grasses UTVOLVET84 Ponds 3 30-07-2003 03:32 AM
Columbus, OH - Free Ornamental Grasses pstryjew Gardening 1 13-06-2003 03:32 AM
Ornamental Grasses Dave Hunt United Kingdom 3 07-04-2003 08:44 PM
Trimming back ornamental grasses: Dallas Blue and another Todd W. Roat Gardening 1 30-01-2003 02:16 PM